Website Suggesting Species from Other Regions

Platform (Android, iOS, Website): Website

Browser, if a website issue (Firefox, Chrome, etc) : All browsers

Description of problem (please provide a set of steps we can use to replicate the issue, and make as many as you need.):

Step 1: Drag photos into Upload section

Step 2: Select all

Step 3: Set location using the map

Step 4: See Suggestions for species

Step 5: Suggestions from the wrong regions appear; i.e.; Corvus brachyrhynchos being suggested as a possible ID for a photo of Corvus corone when location is within the U.K.

(I erroneously wrote Corvus corax as the incorrect example because I had English Ravens on the brain, my apologies)

I might be misunderstanding something here, but the example is confusing to me. Ravens do occur in the UK, and they look a lot like normal crows (I mean - they’re both black corvids), so I’d be surprised if they were not one of the suggestions…

Suggestions from the wrong part of the world can sometimes occur when something has been misidentified in the region recently, or when the user does not have their suggestions filtered by ‘seen nearby’.

2 Likes

It would really be helpful to see screenshots of this, which is why we ask for them in the bug reports template.

Not sure what the problem is as both Corvus corax and Corvus corone occurs in the U.K. and they both look very similar

My apologies that was a mixup as a result of my having English ravens on the brain as I was typing. Never read and write, haha. I have never had incorrect region animals pop up in the drop-down before as far as I know, this really seems to be a recent issue. About to see if it’s still a problem…

Cannot seem to replicate it so I assume it is no longer happening. Perhaps it was fixed. I’ll update here if it reoccurs.

The other example I had was a Mexican house finch suggested for a sighting of a house sparrow in Berkshire! The info about people misidentifying is interesting because I do fairly often have to re-ID sightings of corvids which foreign visitors to Europe have mis-IDed as their home species, especially American ones. I’ll keep an eye out for this and keep closer notes should it reoccur. Thanks for all the help.

1 Like

Feel free to open up a new topic if you experience a new issue.