Weird animal group names

Good idea!

2 Likes

@screedius - I went the other way and am trying to troll other non nature folks with “niche” t-shirts - some of my examples are attached below (Note the attempted murder one did not get printed while the other two did)

07_Attempted_Murder_T_Shirt

The ones that did get made were

and

4 Likes

I agree and second (rather third) your suggestion :-)

2 Likes

A group of penguins in the water is called a raft but on land they’re called a waddle! Other names for a group of penguins include rookery, colony, and huddle.

“The early nerd catches the bird” is my favorite!

1 Like

An intrusion of cockroaches. Quite an appropriate name for a group of them, especially if they’re in your home :grimacing:

1 Like

Mine too

I am playing a guessing game now with some friends about how animal groups are named.

The best suggestion so far: a swarm of flying bats is called a ‘Dracula’s fart’ :vampire::dash::bat::bat:

2 Likes

Mine also

1 Like

A group of asses is called a Congress

2 Likes

Came here to post this (murmuration of starlings). Learned something new (that it’s a process not a collection). Thank you both.

2 Likes

Love a LEAP; a PRICKLE; and a PLAGUE~

1 Like

A Risk of Lobsters

4 Likes

No kidding!

1 Like

Rookery, I believe, originally referred to a nesting colony of rooks; it was then extended to other kinds of nesting colonies. I have also heard of a heron rookery being called a heronry, which I suppose is more technically correct, but do we really want to go as far as a penguinry, an albatrossery, and so forth for every colony-nesting bird?

And a group of penguin chicks with their adult supervisors is called a creche.

4 Likes

This is where I got it but it could be wrong

https://www.cabq.gov/artsculture/biopark/news/10-cool-facts-about-penguins#:~:text=A%20group%20of%20penguins%20in,rookery%2C%20colony%2C%20and%20huddle.

I wanted to say one thing - that is if it is not yet said - that a group of hippopotamuses is called a thunder or bloat…

3 Likes

Welcome to the community @harshith-nambiar

Thanks @hedhehog111. BTW it is great fun to be a part of the discussions on iNat Forum!!

1 Like

No, I think that a bushtit battalion or horde would make more sense after seeing how many seem to attack the suit feeders around here!

2 Likes