What animals have injured/stung/bitten you?

(Crabs and crayfish are awesome. I have actually never eaten either)

1 Like

The main issue I have is getting bitten by mosquitos. I actually had West Nile when I was 8 because of it.

3 Likes

When I was little I also got stung by Yellow Jackets (a type of paper wasp) and it was the worst. I was very short at the time and my hair was right underneath a bell they were living in and apparently I bothered them. I remember for some odd reason they targeted my ears.

2 Likes

Oh my gosh I got pecked by a rooster one time, along with flogged. It was a terrible experience.

2 Likes

Until 2 days ago, nothing other than mosquitoes and ants. But on Apr 7th, a true bug tried to put it’s rostrum in my skin when I was holding it on my hand to take some photos, and that was extremely painfull. Was it supposed to happen on my birthday only !!!

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum @TMac64

Well, none had… until a monkey decided to steal my phone and scratch me when I was trying to get it back. It was in it’s enclosure and the mesh was pretty thin, and it still somehow got inside. I almost got vaccinated for rabies, since the monkeys had no vaccines and lived with a bunch of dogs, but the doctor decided it wasn’t probable since it barely broke skin. I got my phone back, but the critter broke part of the screen :expressionless:

And plants… a Palo Verde (Parkinsonia) decided to hang me by the neck of my shirt while I was photographing Dalechampia and took a big pull to get it off…

The strangest one however, was then I found a strange, fluffy plant blocking the road on a botany trip… it had large, okra-like pods, but these were much larger and covered in hairs. (otherwise identical). I decided to get it out of my way with my bare hands. It was not a great idea.
When I did that, I felt a horrible pain creep up my fingers to my arms. I threw it to the ground. The hand which touched it hurt for hours. When I returned a week ago to find the plant, it vanished. I wonder what could it had been.

3 Likes

This brought me back to when me and some friends would go fishing for green terrors. We would catch the ocasional slender or long-whiskered catfish… handling them was an interesting experience. They have nasty spines that can leave scars on your hands…

3 Likes

Welcome to the Forum! I don’t know if this counts or not, but at around age 17 I was lying on my bed waiting to go to an 800 m race. To say I was nervous would be an understatement (I was a ‘front runner’, and puked after every race). I picked up what I thought was a raisin, and popped it in my mouth. It buzzed. Turned out to be a bee. I did not get stung!

5 Likes

Yikes! The stuff nightmares are made of :flushed:

4 Likes

Ocypus sp, and other rove beetles, turns out I’m allergic to Ocypus olens, cats, dogs, human, chickens, Nebria brevicollis, Calathus fuscipes, Carabus nemoralis and taedatus, horse and deer flies, leeches, Formicidae sp., bald-faced hornets, Pterostichus algidus and melanarius, Bark scorpions, fleas, mosquitoes, corw, paper wasps, sweat bees, honey bees, garter snakes(on numerous occasions), smallmouth bass, Cicindela oregona, yellowjackets, “toe biters,” pigeons, vole, mouse, rats, rabbit, Scaphinotus angusticollis, crayfish, crabs, pet goliath beetle that is no longer living : (,and there will probably be at least three(3) more things that could be added to this list if I felt like it over the weekend, or tomorrow, since I go beetle collecting/observing every weekend/friday, and usually get bit or stung by something at least once a week. Rove beetles, garter snakes, Carabus, and Pterostichus are the main ones that I think are out to get me…
For all of you who perform field work or collect specimens, ALWAYS BRING STING RELIEF AND FIRST AID ITEMS!! : )

Best regards to all

3 Likes

The odd thing with insect stings are their different effects - short term and long term.

I found a bumble bee in my living room, took it on my finger, went out into the garden, sat it down on some Asteraceae flower, and in that moment the beast stung. The finger was swollen and itchy for several days.

On holidays far away, I walked in the shadow of an ancient Khmer temple wall in Thailand. Suddenly some buzzing sound, and immediately after I realized the sound, there were some 4 stings into my head by some wasp species. Accelerated my step, and with severe pain (never felt such a pain after an insect sting) sat down some where else. After a couple of minutes, the pain become less, and shortly after did not feel anything of that anymore. (I tried to make a photo of the wasps’ nest later on, from safe distance, but blurred).

So: a really painful sting for a very short time vs. a “normal” sting with lasting annoyance.

By the way, I never felt the leeches biting me - and was often astonished when I saw that my socks were totally red after putting off my shoes… (the wounds got never infected, were never itchy)

4 Likes

Oh leeches are some of my worst nightmares!

1 Like

I got bitten by my first snake almost two weeks ago- I saw a snake, recognised it as a ‘not dangerous one’ and grabbed it, assuming it would behave the same as others on the genus (dumb). I feel very privileged to be bitten by one because I have never heard of anyone being bitten by the species before.

There is literally nothing online or in books about the bite effects and venom, but everything says “not dangerous” so I knew I would be fine. I was amazed at how much longer the effects last- Two weeks later there is still a red patch and a slight tenderness of the muscle. The bite was similar to a pin puncture, and got swollen in the first hour, but it did not hurt at all after the first day unless I put pressure on it.

It was a beautiful snake, and well worth the trouble.
Observation of individual is here

4 Likes

very small. was it a young one or just a small one?

No that’s an adult. They only get to 400mm max here.

1 Like

Oh, it’s a good observation, but no one wants to see such an old tummy . The oB will have to wait until pics can be obscured for the squeamish… would need a bigger warning than road kill or maimed animals!! :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I’ve been bitten by domestic dogs and cats. And rats.

I had a stupid feeding error with a small (10’ ish) reticulated python that left blood everywhere and left my left arm bruised and swollen.

I can’t even begin to make a comprehensive list of all the biting flies/ticks/leeches/bee stings over the years. The biting flies are the worst though, it seems like once one finds you and bites you get swarmed.

Got bit by a great plains skink I was removing from a cat (both were in my apartment…the cat was mine, the skink must have just found its way in).

Had what I’d term a curiousity bite from a small turtle in a creek last year; very glad it didn’t latch on. Decided my toe didn’t taste good.

3 Likes

A robber fly “bit” you? I held a couple and the most they would do is try to stab, but it wouldn’t feel like anything.

2 Likes

What was their size? Bet any big robber fly can bit and it will hurt.

2 Likes