What are your personal iNaturalist goals for 2020?

Reading all these ambitious and reasonable goals should be inspiring. However, my personal iNaturalist goal is to spend less time on it so I’ll have time to teach two classes in the next six months.

13 Likes

Successfully support the use of iNat in my first experience as a CNC City Coordinator. It will be my first time using projects. And it will involve getting out of the house to interact with people instead of plants - somewhat daunting as my default is quite happily tromping around in the bush on my own lol.

7 Likes

I managed to nearly double my lifelist this year (going from a little over 2000 to just under 4000), so hopefully I can do the same next year

4 Likes

I’d like to get people at the two colleges I teach for using the site more, and contributing to the Cabrillo and SJCC projects.

I’d also like to find some bug or mold in one of my Jan. 3rd 2015 Icheon Airport photos, so that my daily streak would go back properly to Apr. 1st 2013. I should probably give up on that one, though. Sigh. edit I, err, solved this second one. Cough.

5 Likes

You might be able to put one of those photos as “human” so you at least have an observation from then

Humans aren’t a verifiable species, so it doesn’t count.

Every morning, I get up, look in the mirror, and think, “Well, at least I’m not verifiable.” So I can’t really complain.

12 Likes

We just bought 40 acres that connect with 160 acres of state property. This is a very overgrown parcel with ponds and very little development. I will be starting to identify most of the plants and animals there.

Not overambitious at all…

14 Likes

Actually, that sounds like a blast.

7 Likes

this year i had less observations and species than last year - but it was because we had a baby and thus i was close to home and busy. I am hoping next year to equal or beat last year, and to continue to look for new sedges and grasses and such. Or whatever else I can find…

7 Likes

Welcome to the forum :)

2 Likes

Thanks.

2 Likes

Maybe start a regional project on iNat to draw people together?

2 Likes

We want to triple the amount of observations we did last season and get over a hundred new species.

3 Likes

There’s a bunch of places without observations near me. I rely on iNaturalist so much to find out where certain species are so I will return the favor.

7 Likes

I am new to iNat and don’t have many observations yet. So I wanted to set a goal for me that is (hopefully) not too hard to achieve: to observe at least 1000 different plant species in 2020. I also want to document as many different species and populations of the genus Typha (cattails) as possible and find some plants that haven’t been observed yet in my country.

8 Likes

Where in the Bay Area are you? I’ve gotten together with some north bay iNatters for iNatting excursions, and during the CNC we do some fun far-reaches of the Bay Area trips!

4 Likes

General naturalist goal(s):
Join local mycological society and perhaps whatever other groups I can find.

iNaturalist goals:
GET OUT MORE (2019 was just an “off” year, it felt) and make more observations in general
See if I can sharpen any IDs of my own languishing obs
Move more state obs out of Unknown
Convert one more person to the cult of iNat :grin:

10 Likes

We just moved to San Rafael last month, from Sonoma County. Hopefully being closer to the city will make it a bit easier to meet people!

6 Likes

In addition to my comment above, I will add one, which is wanting to succeed finally this year at the Canada Day Biodiversity Challenge. For those unaware, what this is, is that on Canada Day, which is July 1st (Canada’s version of July 4th for you Americans reading this), you go out and for what birthday it is for Canada, which in 2020 will be 153, you try and document that many species.

It has been held each year since 2017, and I’ve failed every year so far:

• 2017 not really my fault as the day got cut short by monsoon level rains that arrived around lunch time
  • 2018 not able to go out’
  • 2019 - I kind of succeeded, but not by my personal rules. I got 175 different things, but I really only count research grade in my counts, at which I got 108 due to not photographing some things such as birds (have to balance a camera lens that can do plants, fungi, insects etc so some birds are too far away) and things never confirmed.

I screwed myself in 2019 by intentionally not taking the short cut of doing dozens of species of trees, and going to a place I had never been to. In 2020, I plan to go to a more diverse spot where I know my way around and get those 153 research grade species.

6 Likes

My major 2020 goal is to find and photograph some more species of native Asclepias. Beside A. hypoleuca and A. linaria that is. I love to see both species but I’ll be darned if I have had any luck finding any other species.

4 Likes