What camera do you use for nature photography?

Haha, that would be fitting!

1 Like

Not enough options. I need at least 4.

It varies enormously depending on where I am, what Iā€™m doing, and what I have with me.

I use my almost 10 years old EOS 600D for most observations. However, since I now live in not so secure colombia and I would not feel comfortable carying a DSLR around, I leave it at home most of the time and use my phone camera more often. I donĀ“t even know what kind of phone it isā€¦ Huawei something I thinkā€¦ not sureā€¦ something not too expensive so if it gets stolen itĀ“s not a complete desaster. Photos are ok for identification.

3 Likes

I use a Nikon D60 (DSLR) with a 70-300 mm lens. I also use a tripod with it.
My phone camera has a macro lens so I sometimes use that with smaller subjects.

1 Like

Canon 60D here too, 10 yr in January. I donā€™t know if it is just worn out or itā€™s human error causing my photos to be less than Iā€™d like. Still itā€™s better than my phone camera or some other compacts Iā€™ve had.

1 Like

Depends on where Iā€™m going, what Iā€™m shooting and the weather. On rainy days, I only take my underwater camera, period. On birding trips I take my DSLR. On bug walks I take my mirrorless camera with a macro lens, plus a DSLR with a different lens. For snorkeling, thereā€™s the underwater camera. For mothing thereā€™s the mirrorless plus macro lens. And then thereā€™s the phone camera for unexpected finds and a backup when thereā€™s trouble with the real camera I have with me. Or for when I want to use my clip-on macro lens.

2 Likes

Ring video camera is doing the most for me. Not on your list!

1 Like

I had to google that one. It just goes to show that the old saying that the best camera is the one you have is correct :)

2 Likes

For the Canon 100mm macro it really depends on what you want to achieve. If you use it on one of the crop bodies (60D, 90D etc) you will get slightly more magnification. On a full frame camera itā€™s a bit more versatile because you can take photos of things without having to stand so far away (100mm doesnā€™t sound like a lot but when youā€™re trying to take a photo of leaves, for example, it does make a difference). As for quality, it doesnā€™t matterā€¦ the 100mm macro is one of the sharpest lenses Canon makes in my opinion and any Canon body will produce great results. There are other macro lenses for Canon and two of these Iā€™ve rented but do not own. The MP-E65mm I found very very hard to use and I donā€™t think I got a single good shot (I couldnā€™t focus it even on a tripod). I also rented the 180mm for a bioblitz weekend and it was fantastic for insects from a distance

Edit: Oh I forgot, although itā€™s not a macro lens I also use the 50mm with extension tubes. Itā€™s not even an L-series lens, but produces images that are very sharp (probably because itā€™s a prime lens). Iā€™ve even used a wide angle 16mm lens with extension tubes with good results. But, yes, the 100mm macro is a great lens

1 Like

As for wasps. Maybe the 180mm macro would be a better choice for them but itā€™s not cheap (which is why I rented it) and the cropped bodies (APS-C sensors) (60D, 90D etc) may be the way to go. The extra ā€œmagnificationā€ on the APS-C sized sensors is not a huge amount but itā€™s noticeable.

Mirrorless vs. DSLR: On a mirrorless camera you can get insane frame ratesā€¦ hold down the shutter and itā€™s like a machine gun and youā€™ll capture up to 20 shots per second with the electronic shutter, compared to about 10 shots per second with something like a 90D (mechanical shutter only). If thatā€™s an advantage for wasp photography then mirrorless is the way to go. There are some disadvantages to electronic shutter but you can set it to mechanical with a reduced frame rate. That said, Iā€™ve never actually seen the disadvantages of electronic shutter (e.g. rolling shutter) in the field for still shots. There are advantages to electronic shutters as well (frame rate, silence, etc) and youā€™d need to read some articles to make up your own mind. Iā€™m shooting on a mirrorless camera now and would never go back to a DSLR just because of the frame rate and the better focus

1 Like

The reason I rented the 180mm was to get photos of dragonflies and damselflies was because on that weekend I was with a person and that was his advice (to not scare them away as you say). I mainly take photos of plants though so, for me, the 100mm is a much better lens for the reasons you state.

These are handheld with the 100mm and a 90D but with flash, so probably not the best examples but all I can come up with on short notice (both (1/60 sec at f 9.0):
https://inaturalist.ala.org.au/observations/97705404
https://inaturalist.ala.org.au/observations/97623636

With the 100mm I can generally handhold (without flash) all the way down to about 1/30th of a second shutter speed. Iā€™ve heard reports of people doing even better than that.

On a tripod itā€™s a different story. These fruit are about 2mm (0.08 inches) across. I could have gotten closer but itā€™s good enough for me. Again, using a 90D

2 Likes

Recently I purchased Canon ELPH-360 for my daughter as birthday gift, and she was very happy with it. Itā€™s a relatively inexpensive point-and-shoot, and it has 8X zoom, which makes it quite effective for wildlife photography. It has 20 MP resolution, which is plenty for taking good photos.

I actually also start to observe that the focus is getting less and less crisp and it is harder to get the focus at all in my macro photographyā€¦ but then again, 10 years can do quite a bit to the steadiness of ones hand I assume :-) ā€¦ anyway, probaby time for a new one at some point. It did quite the job actually. The first few years I basically went out photographing every single day and every day there were at least several 100 photos taken and it also did some trips where I easily surpassed this quota.

1 Like

Valid point. I use a superzoom sometimes.

canon eos m50
with
Sigma 105mm macro
sigma 17-50mm
canon 70 200mm L is
canon efm 22mm

the sigma 105 is my absolute favourite!
Never had any better lens.
:)

1 Like

For the record I use Cannon Power Shot SX50HS. I donā€™t call myself a photographer and use it mainly for documenting things ā€œfor the recordā€. Iā€™m resonably satisfied Iā€™m reasonably satified with it altough I sometimes have trouble with focus on macro shots.

Since this seems to be a forum with more knowledgeable photographers than I, Iā€™d like to ask a question about the size of photos being posted to iNaturalist. It seems that more often than not the quality of the photo is limited by optics and not digitally. Despite this most photos seem to be posted at full digital resolution which takes up more memory than needed. Because I live in a rural area where internet access is limited it sometimes takes a condsiderable amount of time to open a photo to ID it ( sometimes over a minute for one photo) and the clarity is no better than a photo of half the size. Has there been any discussion to downsize photos before theyā€™re posted to save storage space and make opening a photo faster? If this is an inappropriate form for this question can anyone direct me to a better one?

Thanks!

1 Like

You may be interested in checking links from https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/improving-site-speed/24606
iNat already downsizes photos, it takes a lot to edit photos, creating separate copies for iNat would be too much of a hassle and can lead to mess in folders or wrongly applied sizing.

Thanks Marina! I donā€™t submit a lot and have a filing system for keeping track of submitted photos so downsizing before submitting hasnā€™t been a problem for me. Thanks for the references. If nothing else, itā€™s good to know Iā€™m not the only one finding it slow sometimes. Stay safe!

Paul

1 Like

I started using a Nikon D100 with macro lens this year (50mm I think) and thereā€™s a lot of factors that separate a good shot from a great one. I had issues with adapting settings to bright sun. For example, https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/93528105 vs https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/99812001
Mostly, getting close enough to fast and shy insects is tricky. I started using a gardening kneel pad for prone shots.

Any photography tips, fellow naturalists?

Most of my images are still shots from Ring cameras. For ā€œseriousā€ work, I love my Canon Powershot SXX50 HS, which is old but wonderful because of the long lens. But I also occasionally us my iPhone 11 if Iā€™m out and about. Here are two samples. The woodpecker was almost full telephoto, braced against the roof of my car.

2 Likes