What "hated" animals do you love?

Some animals are hated where they live. Locally, it’s magpies. I absolutely love them. Which triggers some unfriendly language from some people. I also love the great tailed grackles everyone south of here seems to hate.

edit: also, wasps :heart:

7 Likes

Wasps, ticks, cockroaches, basically every “creepy crawly” that others dislike.

I’ve enjoyed every time I’ve seen a mouse as well, beautiful little guys

3 Likes

I can’t say I love mice, roaches or ticks but I can understand loving them.

2 Likes

I love gulls, especially the big urban Larus species. I genuinely like the sound of their calls and the look of their high-contrast plumage. And they’re huge, which is particularly impressive and imposing when they get close to people in urban places.

Plus in general I just have a soft spot for adaptable omnivores that make themselves at home near humans - foxes, rodents, corvids, raccoons… I feel like any species that has learned to survive by stealing from and competing with technologically advanced apex predators deserves respect.

11 Likes

Sometimes it just depends how you look at a group (taxon) - many people would say that they do not like “flies” (rather people from the general public than Inaturalist, I have to admit) - but then again, many people do not know about hoverflies (Syrphidae) - and who would not love these beautiful creatures?

5 Likes

One of my favourite words is synanthrope, which describes any wild organism that lives in close association with humans and relies on them or benefits from the interaction in some way.

4 Likes

Magpies? But they’re so cool! I spent my whole trip to New Mexico looking for them.

5 Likes

Grackles.

4 Likes

Spiders :person_shrugging:

7 Likes

Blue Jays at bird feeders and Canada Jays at picnics and noisy Crows congregating by the thousands :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

7 Likes

I don’t really understand why people hate rats and mice so much. They’re adorable animals, super clean even though it’s believed the contrary.
I don’t know if you knew this, but there are more changes of getting rabies from a dog than an illness from a rat or mouse.
I also find spiders very interesting. I don’t like having them inside the house, so I take them to my backyard very gently.

4 Likes

I always love seeing pigeons when I visit major cities.

8 Likes

Groundhogs, opossums, mice, etc.

4 Likes

gulls are a lot of fun. They can be pesky at times, but so can humans.

one day I hope to get a picture of a hover fly. (not blury)

synanthrope? I may adopt that word. As a few people have said, anything that has adapted to live with us gets extra points of respect.

Some people claim that magpies kill sheep. I know that they “steal” chicken eggs. So do humans.
I think people like to blame nature because they don’t take the time to understand it. Magpies are so cool.

I don’t hate mice, rats, spiders or even roaches. I am just not especially fond of them. Specifically in my living space. It’s a matter of live and let live, but if they are inside my house, they will be removed. Gently.

Rats and mice leave urine trails, poop all over and chew things up. Because of this, some people hate them. Others just get scared because of a fast moving creature they don’t understand.
If we don’t want them in our buildings and storage etc we need to take responsibility for keeping them out. It’s not a good reason to hate something because it’s smart enough to eat our stuff and live in a comfortable building. They are trying to survive, and we give them what they need. I think they are interesting and generally, they are not a problem. I have had one mouse in my house in five years.
Spiders are more common but that’s what I get for living in a basement with places for them to live. I have transplanted at least 50 in the first week of cold weather.
The point is, the reason for hate is unwillingness to understand them and take responsibility for our own problems. Just like hate between humans. (usually)

4 Likes

Very good point of view.

1 Like

Snakes are also a very common example. My family, for example, hates snakes, but I love them. Many people don’t understand the fact that snakes don’t bite because they want to (we’re not in their menu), but because they’re defending themselves. Most deaths related to snake bites happen because the person wanted o kill it.

4 Likes

We love spiders and have several living in our house. One large house spider has a web in a somewhat inaccessible corner of our kitchen and my husband feeds her any flies that stray into the house.

4 Likes

We also have spiders, not inside the house, but in our garden. I often throw mosquitos and flies to the web.

1 Like

Locally, many of the folks I know hate carp, which are my favorite critters!

4 Likes