What is easy to ID?

That last made me laugh!

3 Likes

It is a learning process - you didn’t know that some species are so difficult to identify, that in itself is new knowledge and you will learn much much more. I felt the same at first, but I’ve learnt so much through iNaturalist (and it’s Australian equivalent Bowerbird, now extinct - sorry for the bad pun.) Life is a learning journey and it’s funny how sometimes you learn things you didn’t know you needed to know!

4 Likes

Posting things you don’t know and learning what they are is the learning process. Many people on iNat are happy to help you learn.

4 Likes

Yes, you are right.But it’s a bit discouraging when what I learn is that I didn’t have a good enough photo to ID the thing in question at all, so as far as identification goes, I didn’t learn anything.

And, yes, I think there are many people on iNat that are happy to help me learn, but I only just learned that and I learned that this forum, rather than iNat itself is the place to find them. About a year ago I messaged a woman about a spider ID because she showed up on my observation as someone who IDs a lot of that kind of spider. She said that she was busy and would get back to me on the weekend, which she did not do. I am not criticizing her. I am sure that she WAS busy. But I never heard from her again. So I had given up on getting any help IDing anything. That’s why my question here was: What’s easy to ID? And I have been really impressed with the number of people messaging me and saying they are happy to help me if I feel stuck! So kind! Thanks so much to all of you.

3 Likes

‘I didn’t have a good enough photo so I didn’t learn anything’

But. You did! I have learnt for example - that daisies need the other side, to show the bracts. We have to start that learning process somewhere. Once you start iNat will keep teaching you. Another layer, another step.

And a PS for your spider - look at your local leaderboard and tag in a new name to look at it.

4 Likes

There is a difference, however, between saying what is needed and just saying that the photo isn’t good enough.

3 Likes

Yes, I will try again (sometime).

So very true. But even with the “_____ is missing” comment, I still feel that I am holding tiny pieces of a big puzzle. Whereas having a species name feels like an accomplishment. But I haven’t given up, and appreciate knowing where to go for help.

1 Like

Sometimes photos are not good enough for a refined ID. I know nothing about plants, so most of my observations are Genus or above. I have also seen some terrible photos of moths (wrong colours, out of focus, or need dissection). I do my best to ID them, but sometimes it’s not possible.
I also look for someone on the ‘Leaderboard’ who has a number of ID’s, but is not the top one or two. Those folks are likely to get lots of requests, where the ‘less busy’ ones (I can’t think of a better way to say that) are more likely to respond. You will also get to know people who know, especially if you do any ID work. I know a number of folks who are not on the leaderboard, but are very experienced with moth identification. I consult them frequently.

1 Like

Yes, good points. I would love to grow that kind of network eventually. I feel like I am in the valley looking up at the top of the mountain, but it’s OK if I never make it to the top. There will be a path for me.

3 Likes

Do NOT feel pressured! Do what you want - none of this is a contest! There really is no top to get to.

3 Likes

Yes, the joy of no finish line. Yet, I still try to pile up little nuggets of knowledge! LOL!

1 Like

Some butterflies are very easy to ID, for example, Monarchs (they have mimics, but still). Others are harder, but you can learn to distinguish between them–I’ve been doing better with swallowtails lately. Others are best left to the experts (azures in my area). Look at what hasn’t been identified on your list and look at others’ observations of these animals or plants in your area. If observations by others have been identified, try to see the difference between your posts and theirs. It could be that they have better cameras, or it could be that you need different or more angles. You can learn what you need to get a pic of for an ID to species. If other observations are also not at the species level, then you know you’ve done your best. Try not to focus on what isn’t ID’ed. Sometimes, you need the right expert to see it, and that takes time. (Some of mine have been identified four years later.) Move on and focus on building your list. You’ll learn as you go. :)

1 Like

Ah, but there is. When you can look at any observation posted from anywhere and improve it. (Or confidently agree, if it is already at species or subspecies.)

Not a hope. Those taxonomists will foil you every time.

6 Likes

Oh, you made me laugh!

3 Likes

I chased a tiger swallowtail around my backyard and finally ended up with a fairly crappy picture of it - which was confirmed with what seemed to me to be lightening speed! LOL!

My most recent observation I only posted because of what Ajott said. (It was really blurry and far away.) Sure enough, within a few days I had species confirmation! LOL!

So I guess my gamification strategy should be to be willing to take mediocre pictures of the easy-to-ID things just for the species confirmation, while I work on getting good enough photos of the little things to eventually start getting them to species confirmation!

5 Likes

When I started here, I thought I knew a lot about plants. Turned out my mom had really only taught me to the genus level. I have tried learning down to species… but something I always try to keep in mind is that even if Genus level doesn’t give you the “Research Grade” tag and the dopamine reward that seems to come with it, there’s really nothing wrong with identifying to Genus level. We (mostly) don’t go to such lengths to subspecies level… it’s pretty arbitrary when we decide enough identification is enough. Even learning something as broad as families is pretty awesome - being able to look at something and say “That has a nightshade kind of look to it…” I’ve always admired that.

However, I found that identifying plants with very few alternative options out there is pretty rewarding - I am always on the lookout for what I call “The Binary Plants of Pennsylvania.” Goldenrods or asters or even Joe-Pye can get frustrating with all the possibilities and permutations. But Spring Beauty? It’s either virginica or caroliniana. Celastrus? Orbiculatus or Scandens. Dicentra? cucullaria, canadensis, or eximia. There are only 2 Cucurbitae with white flowers here, although they are in different genera, so it’s Sicyos angulata (burr cucumber) or Echinocystus lobata (wild cucumber)… and they each have very characteristic fruits. And it was cool because I had not heard of burr cucumber before I tried to identify my wild cucumber, so now I know to look out for burr cucumber and hopefully add another species to my list.
Of course, you don’t necessarily know that until you open the book or whatever… but I’m just saying if you find yourself confronted with a dozen choices, you may just want to say “Hey, I’m not going to get to this anytime soon, so I’ll just leave it with a genus/general ID and maybe someone else will.” and move onto something with fewer options.

7 Likes

Ricinus communis, ficus carica, ceratonia siliqua, eucalyptus camaldulensis, euphorbia peplus.

1 Like

In terms of plant observations in eastern North America, skunk cabbage currently emerging will get an almost instant confirmation of ID. The trick is finding some to observe in the first place.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.