What is "processing" and what we should do?

Platform (Android, iOS, Website): website

Browser, if a website issue (Firefox, Chrome, etc) : chrome

URLs (aka web addresses) of any relevant observations or pages: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/38625522

Screenshots of what you are seeing

Description of problem (please provide a set of steps we can use to replicate the issue, and make as many as you need.):
processing image from a two years old observation
so, I know this happens, but what we should do? it taking to much time, more than two years, should I delete it should I wait? what we, users, should do?

1 Like

When an image is uploaded to iNat, we process it by removing metadata, making multiple sizes of it, etc. If that process is stopped before it’s finished, that’s usually when you end up with that “Processing…” image. I think it’s a really old holdover from iNat’s early days when image processing was much slower.

I think the upshot is that we can’t really say what happened here since it happened years ago, but the processing is not still happening. If you still have the original photo, you should add it to this observaiton and remove the image that’s “processing”. If you don’t have the original photo, you should remove the image that’s “processing” from the observation.

5 Likes