What is the best way to use observation fields for insects on plants?

I’ve noticed that there are a number of different observation field that all basically mean “the taxon I am reporting was on this plant” For instance, one is “Plant Association”, another is “Flower or Plant Association” and yet another is “Name of Associated Plant”. Each one seems to be used by different projects. If I just want to tag photos of insects on plants to make it easier for someone to search for insect-plant associations, what’s the best way to do that.

2 Likes

You can use whichever fits your needs best. You can also use tags and descriptions, because there explore filters for those, making them somewhat easier than observation fields (in certain situations).

1 Like

Also if you have a relevant project available, consider joining.

1 Like

Thanks, I will suggest this as a feature. I was hoping to use the observation field to try to figure out every species seen visiting a certain plant (Encelia farinosa), but quickly realized that this wouldn’t be as easy as I’d hoped.

A further issue is the fact that some of the observation field data is incorrect (one user added E. farinosa in the observation field for “name of associated plant”, when the plant was actually another species). It would be great it plant-pollinator associations were built in and could be ID’d by the community as well.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.