What is your favorite species of Dinosaur

There were 700 species of Dinosaurs in the world.
Do you have a favorite?
If so which one?
Mine might have to be the - Ankylosaurus

4 Likes

Maybe the spinosaurus. This guy is full of surprises, and each time it’s appearance changes due to a new thiscovery, I like ti more.

6 Likes

The next one.

6 Likes

Cracticus torquatus, not even joking. If we have to restrict it to the Mesozoic, probably Minmi paravertebra/ Kunbarrasaurus ieversi (I list both because they were the same species when I chose them). If we mean Mesozoic animals in general, then Koolasuchus cleelandi.
I also have a soft spot for Muttaburrasaurus langdoni.

2 Likes

Pachycephalosaurus!

1 Like

Baeolophus bicolor and Quiscalus mexicanus both have a special place in my heart as some of my favorite dinosaurs.

2 Likes

700 species seems like a huge underestimate. There are 11.000 species of dinosaur alive today, so over their full 240 million years of existence we’re probably looking at hundreds of thousands of species of dinosaur.

3 Likes

Not counting birds, probably Oviraptor, especially thanks to a fanciful reconstruction where it resembled a macaw (though I dislike it’s use of the “egg-stealing oviraptorosaurs” trope): Nest Robber by Jonathan Kuo.

5 Likes

Deinocheirus. It has to have some really bizarre adaptations, and shows like Amazing Dinoworld and Prehistoric Planet have done some awe-inspiring reconstructions of the species. A close second is Yi qi, which just looks like a little dragon.

2 Likes

Hummingbirds are pretty amazing.

5 Likes

You didn’t specify non-avian so i’m going to go with Humming Birds. Archilochus colubris is the most common in my area. They rule.

When it comes to non-avian I really dig Ceratosaurus. Check out those brow horns.

1 Like

If we’re including avian dinosaurs, this is a super hard question - I don’t know if I have a single favourite!

If we’re only counting non-avians, It would be a toss-up between Spinosaurus, Microraptor (and dromaeosaurs in general) and Deinocheirus. All are super interesting animals!

Not sure if these count as avians or not, but I’m a fan of enantiornithines and other non-modern bird groups, such as Falcatakely, Ichthyornis, Archaeopteryx and Confuciusornis.

3 Likes

Triceratops. I couldn’t resist buying the resin skeleton ornament when I saw it.

2 Likes

Carnotaurus, just for its silly little arms. They make me smile.

3 Likes

One of the original large bipedal dinos, Allosaurus.

2 Likes

Irritator challengeri by Anthony Hutchins
Spinosaurids are very cool as far as Mesozoic non-avian dinosaurs go
For mesozoic life in general, I really like Azhdarchids

Also, there are currently 1276 (from Wikipedia - a few more have been described since, the current number is closer to 1280-1290) valid non-avian dinosaur genera known from the Mesozoic. It barely takes into account the possible diversity of such a long-lived clade, considering the extremely low percentages of remains that ever become fossilized, let alone described and classified by our taxonomic systems.

3 Likes

Spinosaurus (Stromer, 1915)

2 Likes

Delighted to be asked! There are so many favorites. I’ve always kept a place in my heart for Stenonychosaurus – but if we’re just going to crown one, Styracosaurus has the right look.

2 Likes

Well, there are so many, I can’t pick just one. But, just to be different, I’ll pick my home state’s state fossil: Coelophysis bauri [PS - love all the comments about not counting birds. :-)]

2 Likes

Parasaurolophus always had a special place in my heart

3 Likes