What is your new year resolution about nature?

It is a place where I keep trying to move to. The Antilles don’t have marmosets, opossums, or toucans, so in that sense I don’t find them as awesome as where you live; but they still appeal to me more than any place in the Temperate Zone.

woah, nice :)

I finished last year’s resolution :-)
https://www.inaturalist.org/journal/susanne-kasimir/61364-my-daily-beast-2021

2 Likes

ha ha

good one, esp since I am still trying to upload 2020 and before

Wow that is amazing, may try it next year :blush: !!

I love doing this! My area is one of the most iNatted spaces there is (San Francisco bay area) but even here there are blank spaces, and I love to look them up and try to fill them in.

1 Like

I want to do that, too! Massachusetts is pretty heavily iNatted in its eastern parts, but there are definitely gaps in western Massachusetts (and that’s the prettier part, anyway). And much of the rest of New England is accessible for day trips, even in these Covid times.

1 Like

Shorebirds can be tricky as well like the sandpipers and plovers.

2 Likes

I never knew about these birds, wait I can add this to new year resolution to coastal area by promoting eco tourism which means I will be not resting in fancy hotel but in some local’s place. It will be then fun talking to them about nature, and I have listened that they have wonderful stories and observations about nature.

1 Like

Thanks, hahah! Living in Rio de Janeiro has its perks. Hot as hell sometimes and a bit chaotic, but the animals definitely make up for it.

1 Like

I just want to spend more time outdoors. Depression and anxiety have kept me indoors a lot.

3 Likes

I live in Poland, and there’s a part to the north of Warsaw where really few observations have been made. I’m not too mobile, but wherever I happen to go, I come back with a ton of photos. Well, maybe not now, it’s winter time, though if it’s not all covered with snow, lichens and mosses are good objects, and we’ve got more species of them than one could expect. And whatever else can be caught - a bird, a rodent - though I have only the basic camera on my phone, which is not good for such objects.

1 Like

If it’s snowy you can always look for animal tracks! It’s amazing how many animals can be identified from a single footprint, especially if you carry a small ruler to set beside it for the photo for scale.

1 Like

True. Wild boar, hare or deer traces, molehills etc.

The Agricultural University in my place issued a dendrology textbook. I hope to get it when my wage comes o_o

• Dig a large wildlife pond (already have one, but you can never have too many)
  • Clear the areas in my land that are invaded by weeds and brambles, replace them with wildflowers and native trees
  • Eradicate some of the ecologically useless ornamental plants that the people who previously lived here planted
  • Tend to the saplings that will sprout from the seeds I planted last year and are currently in stratification
  • Continue hiking and contributing to iNat
  • Perhaps volunteer for ecological surveys and other projects, depending on pandemic status
    This is the best I can do from my humble position
2 Likes

The nice thing about iNat is that it has opportunities for people of very different interests. If tracks in the snow interest you, I’m sure there’s a project for them.

Encourage more people to conserve and support native pollinators. Last year, I got my yard certified by the Albuquerque Backyard Refuge Program. This week, I started collaborating on https://pollinatorweb.com/ which is aimed at residents of urban/suburban habitat in Arizona and New Mexico. It would be nice if I can improve my yard list to 100 bee species, 100 Lepidoptera, 50 Diptera, 50 Coleoptera, and 75 non-bee Hymenoptera.

3 Likes

impressive challenge!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.