What is your new year resolution about nature?

I know 19 days have passed in new year and I am 19 days late, but that’s how much time I take to think about new year resolution, let me tell mine first

1. Butterfly garden- I want to create a butterfly garden by growing lots of butterfly host plants, making a mud puddling site, growing more nectar flowers in coming summer.
  2. I want to do intensive birding this year learning more about birds and bats near me because in winter only I saw many birds of different species which I never knew was around my house.
  3. If corona ends in my country, I like to pay more visit to wildlife sanctuary, national parks, and biodiversity parks around my city. I will document many species on inaturalist.
  4. I am working on a series of stories of wildlife around my city, for children’s magazine. I hope I will complete it soon and in a most beautiful way.
  5. and last I want to learn more and more around nature and more new tricks to conserve nature, reading lots and lots of guides about snakes, birds, mammals around India.
  6. I hope to save money for inat donations.
    I hope I complete all of them. I know I can’t but I will try my best.
    So what’s your new year resolutions? the things you know you can’t but you want to do that about nature.
    Don’t be hopeless I know you can do :)
9 Likes

I think it should be together with https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/best-of-2021-and-looking-forward-to-2022/28575

1 Like

Learn to identify conifers.

3 Likes

For me it’s learn to identify sedges and willows… but it’s been so every year for the last five years, so I’ve not got much hope!

4 Likes

Finish uploading 2021 observations.

5 Likes

Make as many observation as possible. One of my dreams is to fill some blank (unattended) spaces on my country’s map, just because they are not a touristic site and apparently there are no active iNat users who live there. Another dream is to learn to identify more species of all sorts - as an amateur, I’ve got a lot to learn. The third thing would be to search through my old photos, find all observations there, pair them with localities and dates and upload them to iNat. It’s going to be a lot of work :)

5 Likes

Finding animals that I know are somewhere close, but still haven’t spotted them (Symphypleona for example). And maybe find new (for me) Veronica species.

2 Likes

Continue my iNat streak- that is go for a walk every day - and find 100 animals new to me :-)

4 Likes

-Plant an acerola tree in my yard (I love the fruit and it attracts a lot of bugs and frugivores)
-Build a feeding plataform for local marmosets, opossums and toucans
-Take a pic and try to identify a potentially invasive species of centipede recently seen in my area (they’re very fast and venomous so it’s mighty hard to catch them lol)
-Go on more nature walks :)

4 Likes

any way to join them?

I hope to get better at ID-ing a lot more tree species. Learn about ID-ing trees using the buds, bark and so on, not just leaves and fruit/flowers.

Also I want to get out to a few good destinations that I have not visited yet in NYC.

3 Likes

Moderator can merge two topics in one.

Resolution is to reduce plastic use and garbage contributions. We started using a shampoo that is a bar in a box (not liquid in a bottle) to reduce plastic usage. Also will try to get more groceries in compostable containers not plastic. Reusable produce bags instead of single-use plastic.

3 Likes

I don’t really have any resolutions but it is my hope to see the following three species this year:

• Cape Clawless Otter
  • Caracal
  • European Bee-Eater

Welcome to the forum! And good luck with your resolutions

1 Like

Maybe mine should be: live in a place as awesome as you do!

Learn to identify gulls (specifically genus Larus).

1 Like

woaah u must have great variety out there. I also want to identify birds, but they are hard like tits, chickadee and other birds like these looks almost same. Same goes for warblers, some flycatchers.

hmm this reminded of your profile picture, you seem to enjoy in this picture, what was the event u doing in this picture or you were just messing in jungle.

Gulls are the worst here. We have 7 common species and only 2 can be easily identified; the others are very similar with only slight differences in bill or plumage color to differentiate them. I know it is possible, though, and I have lots of field guides to compare them.