What makes a sighting casual and other related questions?

I hope iNat will eventually change these categories of captive and cultivated. While I totally understand cmcheatle’s definition of cultivated, it doesn’t mean I can get my brain to figure the logic.

I have little tomato plants that pop up all over the yard. Probably because some bird or squirrel has dragged off a ripe fruit. But in my mind, all of these tomato plants have come from tomatoes that I planted, which hardly makes them wild(in my opinion). In my yard “wild” is “what the heck is that and how did it get there?”

Now “cultivated” seems to be treated with some indifference to researchers, I guess. But personally I see them as holding interesting data all on their own. Many of my cultivated plants are not meant to grow in my location and yet they are thriving quite well with no intervention from me.

I think the bottomline comes down to the true purpose of iNat. If it is to get people out and observe and take pictures of the things around you then casual or wild, really shouldn’t matter, but that is just my opinion.

3 Likes