Who do you think keeps biting mint?

I saw an old picture with small bits in my mint(the pictures are not very good). Who do you think it is?

Who do you think is biting my mint?
  • Bugs
  • Monsters
  • Ants
  • Other(please comment)

0 voters

Depenting on where you are, my first wild guess in the dark would be leaf beetlesā€¦ :-)

2 Likes

My mint (Germany) is eaten by small slugs or snails when it grows again after winter.

5 Likes

It could be me. I like mint.

14 Likes

I also vote @DriftlessRoots

also arenā€™t ants bugs themselves

5 Likes

If you want to be technical about it, ants are not bugs. ā€œBugā€ or ā€œtrue bugā€ is the common name for Hemiptera, a specific Order of insects that includes things like stink bugs. All bugs are insects, but not all insects are bugs. Ants are in a different Order, Hymenoptera, which includes insects like bees and wasps.

4 Likes

If ā€œbugsā€ in this poll refers to true bugs, it needs more entries for all the creatures which are not true bugs or ants, but will eat plants. Slugs, beetles, and grasshoppers come to mind. If ā€œbugsā€ is a colloquialism, then, yes, that would include ants.

4 Likes

I did not know this!
But from the context, I thought bugs was more a colloquialism (more like what @fishkeeper said)
the more u kno

2 Likes

Have you seen any caterpillars on it? I tend to get some on my mint plants: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/54872738
There were a few holes in the mint leaves. I didnā€™t see the caterpillar actually eating the mint though, but I also didnā€™t see any other ā€˜bugsā€™ around the plant.

3 Likes

Hey @naahraf welcome to the forum.

1 Like

ā€œBugā€ is very often used as a colloquialism. Most people, when they call something a bug, meanā€¦ just about any terrestrial arthropod. Iā€™ve used it to refer to small shrimp. People referring to the actual bugs usually just call them ā€œtrue bugsā€ at this point. Personally, Iā€™m fine with this- ā€œbugā€ as a colloquialism is a useful term, and ā€œtrue bugsā€ is clear enough.

Where on the mint were the holes? Were the holes just damage to the edges of the leaves, or holes through the middle parts?

5 Likes

I think we wonā€™t ever know Ā“til we catch the real culprit :)

2 Likes

I think itā€™s definitely a monster.

2 Likes

I just planted two types and found tiny slugs on the purple one.

1 Like

Iā€™m just replying to keep topic unlocked so later I can add who took the mint.

1 Like

In my garden it seems to usually be immature snails and slugs, but now and then grasshoppers.

1 Like

good idea. they shall NOT consume the mint :)

i am a mint fan and I love mint tea soā€¦

1 Like

Do you have pictures? Maybe post them to iNaturalist so we can see as well as try and figure out the species!

1 Like

The thrift was found! It was those evil dinosaurs! Here is the picture I tookā€¦

Okay, it wasnā€™t. I looked out my window today and it was a caterpillar!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.