Wild Achievements

I would do it in a y place new to me, hard to make in the old spot as I hate reobserving plants and they make the majority of observations, you don’t upload much, so numbers would be different for you.

1 Like

This is fun! It’s been a nice motivation for me to finally post a lot of my pre-iNat photos. Sorry if I missed this somewhere in the discussion, but do you have any idea why the code is pulling fewer observations for Rat King than it seems like would qualify? I only have 890 observations, so it doesn’t seem likely that the overlapping observations benarmstrong pointed out would be causing the problem. The number of observations for Heart of the Matter has also gone up and then gone back down over time.

Thanks for coming up with this!

3 Likes

this looks cool!

This is awesome!

I’ve got a couple of questions, though. Is there a list of achievements?

Also, how does “view observations” work? Mine almost always says 1 and when I click on it it shows the correct, multiple observations/species. It also displays weirdly, my bug achievement list includes birds!

2 Likes

Like, where?

There are lot of those around in Colombia… even not that remote, but just not many people living in those areas that use iNat … and tourist are often not that interested in smaller wildlife.

I am one of the top three observers in many locations I sometimes only visited once for few hours for a giuded tour.

But actually, it is not even that difficult to find those places in Germany… I am still the top-observer for Greifswald, a city with 60.000 inhabitants I photographed at until 2018 (so until more then a year before I even joined iNat!) And does not look like it will going to change soon… I could add hundreds of new taxa for that region if I would still live there by basically going in any direction and finding little evaluated places in terms of iNat

I am sure these places exist almost everywhere, depending on how small or large you would define the term “location”

5 Likes

Yes, I was just wondering if he had some place in mind. I’m sure I could find a place fairly near me, but off the top of my head, I don’t know where.

Not that I am aware of. Some people seem to have been reluctant to post the ones they know, not wanting them to be “spoilers,” I would be happy to share the ones I know with you, but so far, that is only seven.

1 Like

This is awesome!

Fun!

1 Like

Can anyone fill me in on what the “all corners” one is? :)

All Corners

Make an observation in each corner of the globe (North-West, North-East, South-East and South-West).

3 Likes

I’d definitely love to hear them, please! I’m kind of confused about how the achievements are unlocked. I’ve figured out a number of them (for example, the one that seems to be based on how many birds you’ve observed) but I’m curious about others. The thing about people wanting to avoid spoilers is fair enough – I wish this forum would have a “show/hide” or “spoilers” tag for this kind of thing!

Ohhh okay! Thank you!

If you’re concerned, I could send you a message rather than posting them here.

1 Like

Yeah, it seems that you have to have a certain percentage of the achievement completed before it will tell you what you have been unconsciously working toward. Also, the percentage varies from achievement to achievement. For example, 25% for All Corners, but more like 40% for others.

1 Like

For those of you who want to know what the titles of the wild achievements actually mean without spoiling it for anyone else, if you would message me, I would be happy to share the 8 that I know. I would also appreciate being messaged with the meanings of those I don’t know. The ones I know are: Classy Observer, Flower Child, Name Giver, Plenty of Places, Strider, Heart of the Matter, Self Pollinator, and All Corners.

I will volunteer my information as well. In addition to the achievements Jane has unlocked, I have Air Lovers, Rat King, Not a Bug, Craney Heron Storker, Toads and Toadstools, I Lichen Moss, Daisy Town, Always On, Life Lister, Old Geeser, Tentacle Suckers, Not Seeing is Believing, Super Star, Forever Spring, and King Fisher. Anyone can message me if they’re curious about these.

1 Like

Searched a bit and found it’s possible to do show/hide:
[details="title"]
Hidden text to be revealed when title is clicked on
[/details]

Just changed my previous post to use this.

2 Likes

Oh, nice! Thanks for sharing this trick.

I can provide additional info on:

Daily Life

On 24 days observe at least 24 different species.

My Microcosm

Make 12 observations of Bacteria, Diatoms, Rotifers, Tardigrades, Archaea, Protozoans, Nematodes and Viruses.

Scatter

Make 16 observation, identified to species level, that have been annotated as “scat”, and have been observed in 16 different 0.25 degree grids.

So Many Bugs

Obtain 99 observations of true Bugs.

Social Butterfly

Obtain 30 observations of Lepidoptera (Butterflies and Moths), with comments added to the observation.

2 Likes