You know you're seriously into iNat when

You are returning home from a collecting trip and stop off at the Dairy Queen drive through, and seeing what you think is a beetle near the speakers that you talk into, you roll down the window… And stick your net out trying to figure out what type it is. And then realize that it is actually bird poop. And then the fact that you are lactose intolerant!

I have done this twice, once when with my mom, and once when with a friend.

2 Likes

Oh yeah, and at certain times of the year you can find a LOT of pallid-winged, carolina, ad clear-winged grasshoppers at the Dairy Queen at 45.005167, -123.023695 in Keizer (the same one I mentioned previously.) and they sometimes will fly into your car when you are ordering.

4 Likes

When the server at the McDonald’s drive-thru asks what you’d like to order and you respond with,

“Hang on a second. I need to take a photo.”
“A photo?”
“Yeah, there’s a … (reaching out of car with phone) … oof … a moth.”

19 Likes

Woah that was a savage reply bro

When all your friends use tik tok and Instagram as their social media…. but you use the iNat forum.

10 Likes

I still need someone to explain for me what tik tok (I think I spelled it right?) is every time it comes up in a conversations that I am a part of.

2 Likes

It’s a platform for short videos, as Vine was before, but with more focus on short dances and lipsync and all kind of stuff teens would find interesting.

Will I guess I’m not your average teen then.

4 Likes

Nor am I.
Although I have never in my life been considered normal, average, or anything or the sort.
Also, I’ve never heard of Vine. ; )

4 Likes

Same here

3 Likes

When original camera files from this spring result in 600+GB while somehow you get less than 5k records for this period, iNat requires huge amount of space!

3 Likes

…You have reunited with a close friend after 2 years, and you whip out your binoculars mid - conversation!
(True story)

10 Likes

When you are stuck in highway road construction for a half hour so you take a picture of the farmer’s wheat because what else can you do…

13 Likes

When you read every post on this topic every day.

7 Likes

Immediately marked as casual due to being captive/cultivated.

3 Likes

Unless it’s wheat that sprung up from a seed that fell on the ground last year, standing out in a field now filled with corn. That’s one of my favorite types of observations, and it’s easier to find than you might think.

8 Likes

Bit, maybe if you zoom it you find a bird… or insect !

2 Likes

Unfortunately in this part of the country, it’s wheat every year because it doesn’t require irrigation. But you can still tell the naturalized plants from cultivated, like plants growing before the spring plow or in road cutbanks.

4 Likes

You’re delighted to find an insect in the grocery store veggies you’re chopping.

11 Likes

Ok, now I’m not only checking our front and back door lights at night for anything interesting, I’m doing it in my PJ’s! Hey, I’m still 62 and they’re just matching shirt and pants/shorts!

Then with a small flashlight, I’m checking out the back screen porch for spiders! I’m surprised the police haven’t been called yet!

10 Likes