You know you're seriously into iNat when

In a rabbit hole? Us? But but this IS reality!

(also, rabbit holes are pretty cool)

2 Likes

I think both ideas can work really well. Imagine a modern society where we have some form of iNaturalist and there’s a kid who wants to see every fantasy creature in North America or something (like an ABA Big Year). Then the character gets all excited because they found a Ridge-nosed Dragon in the Smoky Mts of Tennessee. It’s an entertaining idea.

3 Likes

When going through your camera roll to clear out old photos becomes a bit less annoying because you find old nature photos you can upload as observations now!

7 Likes

@carnifex check the search for the palce in question an navigate to the observer tab:
https://inaturalist.lu/observations?place_id=120582&view=observers

here you should find your username somewhere (obviously not in the one from Luxembourg)

I feel like I cured my video game addiction with another addiction (iNat)

13 Likes

Got another one

When you become disappointed that you can’t upload snowflakes and icicles because they aren’t alive, but look so cool.

6 Likes

That’s what Instagram is for🤣

6 Likes

When you catch yourself plotting how to get out of the house and across the backyard without tipping off the northern black widow, who is oh, so skittish.
When you tell your partner to back up because standing there is making the caterpillar do its defense dance.
When you realize your gigantic (size 5) feet are squishing worlds when you step. Everywhere.

7 Likes

When you’re really grateful to the observers who are just now uploading their summer (northern hemisphere) photos, because seeing a bunch of Cardinal Flower photos helps a lot in gray February.

11 Likes

what if they fly above ur head and u don’t have camera to click photo.

When after online class u grab your camera and run through stairs at speed of light all your mother hears thumping of feet and when u reach terrace you can see the white light come from there, like u are going to heaven.

When u try to click photo of every livig organism on your terrace because you cannot go outside because of covid.

You stare for a while wishing some rare birds fly to the sky,
whenever u see a bird flying in sky, you stare her for sometime to confirm that bird is a kite and you ignore them.
You make compost not because to fertilize plants but to grow fungi and collecting beetles and flies in that compost(it stinks, so hoping for butterflies to come in summer).
You stare at birds around area and u suddenly become motivated to go out ad click photo of them but rather u found out they are on south of your area(I live in north delhi and area I want to go into is south delhi, its like comparison between amazon rainforest and some random desert)

6 Likes

Can’t tell you how many bikers and hikers I have scared, stepping onto a path or just standing up from along side! Or the few who have stopped to ask if I’m ok? Yeah, just photographing this (insect/ mushroom/plant)!

8 Likes

when you feed the gulls stale leftover fries at Costco so you can get good pictures and everyone in the parking lot looks at you strangely. Like what, never seen someone feed gulls before? :joy:

4 Likes

There’s a guy with a whole channel on youtube and tik tok that’s just him feeding one particular seagull.

5 Likes

When you don’t have time to post here because you are to busy uploading on iNat

6 Likes

…People scream your name throughout the night to remove bugs from their tents while camping. (But don’t mind it at all)

…You get depressed that you aren’t able to photograph super cool roadkill you pass on the highway.

…You search every corner of your house looking for a random insect or spider to upload to keep the iNat streak going in bad weather, middle of the night, etc.

…You spend countless hours researching the nature, wildlife, and nearby parks when planning on vacationing somewhere.

…You photograph and upload dead insects you skimmed out of the pool just because you can’t help it.

…You don’t look forward to trips you aren’t able to bring your camera on, since you won’t be able to record any cool finds.

…Your to-do list on the weekend looks like: “check out that park”, “search for that animal”, “make a bat box”, etc.

…You have a collection of nicknames from people such as “bird guy, bug boy, park ranger, nature man…”

…You can’t wait to get a car just so you can drive to wildlife refuges, preserves, and other natural parks.

10 Likes

or you can take buses, and just walk from there to cover wildlife because many observaion are found on road, if that travel is long it best to take car lol:)

Yeah, I think I’ve seen those. It reminds too that on this day a year ago, I tried to feed a little Mew Gull some of my lunch, but he got so upset when the Ring-bills beat him to it. :rofl:

1 Like

says it all
and again
SRSLY, can’t i just import a photo of Clostera inclusa to Commons?

1 Like

…when this is your Monday night https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/39491342

6 Likes