You know you're seriously into iNat when

Of course. Life is chaotic. I’d quit my exercise and lay in the mud to get a shot of something I’d never seen before :laughing:

7 Likes

You’re not the only one.

3 Likes

But this is not always the case. Natural condensation is not unusual on insects in cold weather eg. https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/90857066
I have never (so far) chilled or sprayed insects before photographing them but I do sometimes find them with condensation on them.

2 Likes

That’s interesting! I assumed natural condensation could only happen with a drastic change in temperature, like ice-cold vs. ambient.

I’ll have to pay more attention but it’s possible that when I turn over a bit of wood the condensation may just start collecting on things, and while I’m photographing one thing other things are collecting condensation. Perhaps in the morning when the air has begun warming up but the ground is still very cold. Maybe it’s my breath that’s causing it, but I doubt it because I’m not usually that close.

1 Like

such a funny visual I had to make it:

[ID: The distracted boyfriend meme, with the boyfriend labeled, “me”, the girlfriend labeled, “People who don’t use iNaturalist”, and the girl being looked at has been replaced by a picture of common milkweed growing in front of a wire fence, labeled, “Plants on the side of the road”. End ID.]

30 Likes

only 10? I take at least 50 pictures a day on my phone, and at least a hundred on my actual camera, lol…

1 Like

Yes I’ve taken more then 3000 photos this year (not including deleted) which is taking up 87 GB of space on my hard drive…

5 Likes

I have around 13k RAWs and I dunno, could be close to 10k phone photos from this year.)

1 Like

This is starting to sound a bit like who caught the biggest fish. I’m waiting for someone to claim Moby Dick and mention petabytes of photos (if outdated definitions of fish are used). Maybe a related topic? Where will your data go when you die?

I hope it’s too early to think about what will happen after death.) But I will be envy of anyone photographing albino whale!

2 Likes

It wouldn’t end well for the photographer. Just ask Ishmael.

2 Likes

Text or… call?

1 Like

Um, this might have happened to a naturalist, that I… know.

When one night at a very lovely pool party that you’ve been invited to, a very attractive person smiles and comes up to you and engages in some conversation, which you promptly lose track of because you’ve noticed a very interesting moth struggling in their hair.

10 Likes

But you’ll know they are worth talking to if they’re interested in the moth, too!

5 Likes

Wouldn’t that make a great twist for a spy novel/movie? Instead of the traditional ‘honeypot’ setup to steal classified information, the wiley, seductive spy gains the naturalist target’s information by faking a passion for the target’s obsession.

“Say, is that a Synanthedon acerni in your tresses, or are you just happy to see one?”

8 Likes

Ha! Love it!

1 Like

Sound like a new romance genre. Step aside highschool sweethearts and enemies to lovers here comes spy-to-naturalist, with a newfound love of nature.

3 Likes

Didn’t Sherlock Holmes retire to a naturalist life? Studying bees, was it?

2 Likes

When your family thinks you are doing crystal meth cuz you ahve to excuse yourself every 10 minutes to go outside…

4 Likes