You know you're seriously into iNat when

… you remember where on the trail your favorite taxa are located, but aren’t sure if you’ve visited that trail with a particular friend or not.

3 Likes

When you’re about to cook dinner and hear a weird flapping noise and realize that there’s a bat flying around your apartment. But before you call maintenance you wait for it to land for a second and take some pictures so you can get your first bat observation on iNat.

Vesper Bats (Subfamily Vespertilioninae) from Meridian St & 13th St, Indianapolis, IN 46204, États-Unis on August 18, 2022 at 05:32 PM by Alexander Geragotelis · iNaturalist

12 Likes

When you’re exploring a marsh and decide to do the splash-and-dash method to get through a particularly wet area, but then look down mid-dash and notice an interesting liverwort, and completely forget to keep moving, and sink up to your ankles in stinky mud.

You also fail to notice any of this has happened until after you have finished photographing the liverwort.

18 Likes

Hey, I want to see the liverwort

3 Likes

Pretty sure I have done that too

1 Like

Here it is, I’m a bit behind on my uploads: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/132441175
I think it may be a “Common” Liverwort, (which is actually not at all common in my area) but I’m not sure. It’s very difficult to find good information on liverworts – or at least, good information that I can understand without a degree in the subject.

3 Likes

… when you suffer from withdrawal syndrome because the iNat servers are down…

18 Likes

That is a very cool liverwort, wow!
I believe it’s genus Marchantia but I doubt that it’s Marchantia polymorpha? It doesn’t have gemma cups which Marchantia polymorpha always has in abundance. Personally I don’t know that much about Marchantia species, I don’t live in USA, but I can try looking for a guide and see if I can identify it :)
About your literature question: The Hepaticae and Anthocerotae of North America east of the hundredth meridian by Rudolf Mathias Schuster is an excellent book and probably the best literature on liverworts. There are 6 volumes but only 3 are on the internet. (unfortunately the first three don’t cover Marchantiine/complex thalloid liverworts, this group is only in the last volume… ). However, I can still send you a link if you are interested. The book is old but has detailed information on biology of liverworts with explanation what some technical terms mean. I can also try and find a small glossary of liverwort terms from another paper I’ve read

2 Likes

You try to find a picture of yourself on your phone for a getting to know you thing but all you can find is old pictures for inaturalist

10 Likes

I do that too! I like to share my nature photos with my family at the end of the year. First it was just birds, but then I added a little bit of everything I see and now people are like, “Oh no, not the bugs!” And I get “ugh!” when I show off the bees and wasps and spiders… :(

(also explaining that wasps and bees and spiders are not bugs at all, in fact!)

5 Likes

lol I did that yesterday. Never did find one of me between the invertebrates and my cats.

2 Likes

When you realize that this topic has been open for 3 and a half years

12 Likes

… When you climb a tree chasing a lizard so you can photograph it.

4 Likes

… you join the forum and read through this whole topic from initial post to last comment.

8 Likes

…when people think you can’t talk about anything besides nature. (You can, but other topics are just boring compared to that interesting leafminer you saw yesterday)

9 Likes

I did that today. lol.

2 Likes

Wow! Spectacular!

… and reading the forum is your evening entertainment.

9 Likes

When someone you don’t even know stops you to tell you where to find a good insect to photograph. It happened to me last week. I’m sure I’ve never met the guy. Word must be getting around.

24 Likes

Your have the second largest number of ids in WA and you mostly id orchids and drosera!

5 Likes