You know you're seriously into iNat when

I’m in north-west Tasmania, Australia, and I’ve just remembered that I heard of a few cases of Ross River fever many years ago, so there is some risk of infection but it’s very rare.

I dunno, to me that sounds like a downside of being really into iNat – losing the ability to appreciate a garden flower or a planted tree for its beauty in itself. Today, walking home from the grocery store, I stopped to admire a flowering abutilon and the changing fall leaves of a maple, both of which were planted in people’s yards. But no, I wouldn’t make iNat observations of them.

5 Likes

That reminds me of the abutilon which used to grow in the garden next door. I really miss it because as well as being beautiful itself it attracted lots of lovely honeyeaters. Many introduced garden plants also attract insects, which is even better. :butterfly: :bug: :ant: :honeybee: :beetle: :lady_beetle: :cricket: :fly: :spider:

1 Like

… when you are gratefully happy that this thread will never close, it’s so entertaining!
… have also done the mosquito on my arm for a photo
… wear old/water shoes when iNatting because you know you’ll end up in the lake/creek to get a picture of a damselfly on floating vegetation
… making a long jumper out of camo fabric so I’d blend in better and tell my husband to wear nature shades of clothing
… when getting new glasses and I renamed “occupational/computer glasses to “bug glasses” and my optometrist uses that term also
… when you’re known as “the dragonfly lady” in our NC Native Plant Society
… I also love jumping spiders and dragon/damselflies
…made nature sprites and other puppets for table talks to entertain the children while the “grown-ups” talk to other grownups at NCNPS events. Volunteers are asked to spend a few hours talking to visitors about benefits of planting native plants, pollination prairies and rain gardens. Puppets always win and drag their parents over to our table!:rofl:

12 Likes

Congratulations, and I’m jealous of your nickname

6 Likes

I’ll let just about anything else perch on me for photos, but skeeters and ticks are a no-go! Of course, as someone else mentioned, it doesn’t pay to risk it when there’s potential disease with it. West Nile is bad in my area some years, and I know there a few other nasties in my area. :/

That’s actually kind of genius. I wouldn’t even have thought of that.

5 Likes

…when you start taking two different cameras out on excursions, because one is better at wide angle & macro shots.

…when you squee over finding two different sizes of external frame backpacks in a friend’s ‘get it out of my garage’ box.

6 Likes

When your “hike” looks like this:

This photo is not arranged: I tried to take a photo of a tiger beetle - then I turned around and had to laugh out loud!
Edit: above is a normal hiker. My tracks are the ones below. ;-)

26 Likes

…when your kid gets lice and you think “At least there’s one silver lining…”

Not that this happened to me yesterday and I’m writing this post from the nitpicker’s office or anything :sweat_smile:

13 Likes

… when the idiom “call of nature” takes on a different meaning?

10 Likes

…when people can guess where you live in the neighborhood

31 Likes

I can’t see it, too many markers in the way! :D

5 Likes

Or better yet, “when you don’t know what iNatters’ houses look like”

10 Likes

What Drosera book would you recommend? I kind of need one haha

1 Like

I started to obscure everything even just near where I live, because I got worried about being stalked based on that. Maybe you don’t need to worry about it, but when I noticed a cluster like this…well, I changed my upload habits for sure.

9 Likes

I obscure anything that isn’t a public destination (park, trail, etc). To be frank, I find the above image pretty scary.

But to each their own.

6 Likes

Most people don’t live in such houses though, and if person is ready to find out the exact flat you live in, he’ll find it anyway, but wish him luck to wait weeks to see me out of my house.
Obscured observation is as useful as no observation at all, but to each their own.

I disagree. Obscured observations still offer a record of a species within a relatively small area. Obscuring is especially useful for when a species if under threat of harm.

5 Likes

It messes up a map, it doesn’t look good, and doesn’t present any more info than there was before, 99% species already have data about them being in the region. Obscuration is an enemy of any location-specific project. There is a reason there’s a feature request to make it possible to turn off obscured observations from the map.
It’s not as straightforward for rare species, for most species not knowing where it is more likely to lead to population being destroyed than having it open, big chunk of obscured species are not hunted or collected, they’re rare for different reasons, so current obscuration doesn’t help them a bit. Anyway, there’re other topics to discuss it, so we shouldn’t diverge here about it, maps like one posted above show how user could observe a little bit more out of their safe zone.)