You know you're seriously into iNat when

You HAVE to see what is being referenced and fall down the rabbit hole of this post…. AGAIN!
I think that tattoo would go on my index finger and thumb…probably both hands…

4 Likes

THIS! I always have to do a double take on bird poo or a stick to make sure it’s not just a moth in disguise.

7 Likes

I tried to get a tattoo artist to do this for me a few months ago. She declined, saying that too often those tattoos don’t take. I’m still disappointed.

1 Like

…you never have any room left in your camera roll, or google drive, or sd cards, or anywhere because it is full of plant photos

…your neighbors get worried and think you are reporting them to the H.O.A, but you are just taking pictures of anemone berlandieri without thinking how weird it is to take pictures of someone’s front lawn. woops.

8 Likes

when you look through your files to upload cave wildlife in hopes to get something as an iNat first and it works with your 6th ‘new’ old observation (confirmed by the other researcher in field that day to verify to RG, since I know it’s unlikely to be verified by anyone else by that particular photo alone even with my comment)

5 Likes

…when u go for a nature cycling ride for a short distance and then u decide to come back in the longest route possible to stop ur cycle and photograph insects in the secret places like under the rocks, below the sand and get your white pant totally brown.

7 Likes

… when u try to photograph DSLR like photos through ur mobile phone to impress INaturalists who use their phones for photography

3 Likes

That happens to me like…every day :). I live in a swamp (yes, really, I do) so I’m always muddy by the time I get home.

One tip: when I’ve really sunk into the mud, I’ve found that lifting my heel alone first–almost as if trying to walk on tip-toe–will help me free my foot from the sucking mud so that I don’t end up walking right out of my boot!

I can never walk quickly enough to avoid sinking, especially since as has already been noted: there is always something interesting that causes me to pause long enough to sink well and truly into the muck.

5 Likes

You ‘go out for a bug’ more than you ‘go out for a walk’ .

11 Likes

Even a few minutes can shift the mindset into being part of nature, relaxing into the experience. Waiting for the next damselfly or beetle or … to show itself! Keep still, another must come soon! The local park with a pond has become an area where the world pauses.

9 Likes

That’s a lovely insight, Serenity is hard to achieve, but nature helps. :)

2 Likes

107 observations today with my smartphone and I’m on a streak since April 6. Even my coworkers (working with surveyors, ha ha) were excited over the Texas horned lizards

16 Likes

…you buy an annual pass for the local botanical garden not because of the cultivated plants shown there, but because you want to observe wild fungi, lichens, mosses and animals.

30 Likes

I often do tours on bicycle. In the past, I selected the routes based on scenery, stopping here and there looking around for plants and bugs. Now I select the routes based on places where I expect interesting plants and bugs to be found…

6 Likes

I started using Lightroom’s “People” function, and I can’t stop thinking that it’s basically just iNat for faces. The program runs through all your photos and picks out everything it thinks is a face, then you add names (identify) and it sorts them by name. It also starts guessing who the unnamed ones are (like iNat’s CV) and gets more accurate as you add more data.

2 Likes

… A bear is recorded in your suburban neighborhood and you want to go into the local woods more.

14 Likes

…. But you do go back to the house to let them know you’ll “ be out back”….
Yes, I’ve actually done that…
“Bear tracks on the bridge
I’m going to follow the track.
If I’m not back in an hour…”

5 Likes

… you find something to observe on every gas stop along the interstates just to help fill in the map.

22 Likes

…You go outside to do a basic chore and find yourself deep in the woods observing Blackburnian and Chestnut sided warblers without really knowing how you got there.

18 Likes

Rest areas are great places too! I have picked up dozens of lifers stopping there.

5 Likes