2023 New Years Resolutions

Thanks! That is very helpful. I try my hardest to use all my own photos in things just to reduce copyright headaches, but there are definitely gaps like this in my collection where I could use a hand until I can take those photos myself. I had no idea there’d be a project like that on iNat.

2 Likes

It is, but this seems a worthwhile exception, and the project includes the wild versions of many of these crop species as well, which are often quite poorly-known.

Yes, that’s right - if they’ve been planted, they should be marked as cultivated.

3 Likes

Great! I like that iNat can also be used as a treasure trove for information on local culture.

1 Like

I quite like your idea about making a photo book out of your favorite 100 OBs for the year. Hmmmm….

4 Likes

I can only encourage you. I’ve got a book per year since 2014 and I learnt a lot making them and they are also my personal guide books for species that don’t appear in normal guidebooks.
https://www.blurb.com/my/store/update_project_display?display=public&order=created_at

4 Likes

Side note: My husband and I noticed that the best beefsteak heirloom tomatoes grew from rotten ones we pitched in the compost pile! (Not captive or cultivated! We didn’t plant then and didn’t know they would grow) That was before we moved and something we hope to resume at our next move. (I’m 5 weeks out from my right leg revision TKA and I’ll be having another TKA in my left knee. PT, though necessary and helpful, is a “pain”! I’m 63 yet don’t act like it! I’m much younger in my head!

Resolution! Try to pilfer/borrow/steal observations from my husbands list that I don’t have!!! I got him started in Seek/iNat and we used to share observations by each taking our own pics.Then I noticed he had some species I don’t have! :smiling_imp: I still have more spiders than he does though! :rofl: I married an IT Developer (ret.) without a ‘nature-interest gene’ in his body and at least he’s looking at bugs now!

We removed all invasive/alien :alien: species from our yard, added a 40 foot stream, added several large moss yards and planted a “small pollination prairie” on the top of a hillside planted with ECOLAWN (wonderful stuff!) looks like waves of green! We plan to do it all over again at the next home so looking for an older neighborhood without a “fussy” HOA or any HOA! I should be able to get down on the ground again with new knees cuz I love nothing better than to remove grass and weeds from moss. Bugs pop up also when you disturb the soil, mostly earthworms, yet I also found 2 different species of lightning bug larva! I was so excited to find them, or rather they found me, I never took pictures! :imp:

4 Likes

My goal is to get 365 observations for 2023 even if I don’t iNat daily.

8 Likes

I’ll second that…am in the Process!

1 Like

Trees! I need to look up! Taking a winter tree ID course starting the 10th.

I just found an extensive section of woods near me with a huge variety of lichen and moss, so learning those is on my list.

Get out with the local mycology people to learn more about fungi. Take more seasonal classes at NYBG.

Trip to So Cal in March! A new place! Prep for that via iNat. Probably Baton Rouge in April. Hopefully the Everglades this year. All very foreign to me in terms of flora and fauna.

Get a suitable microscope for home.

Learn my new macro lens for the phone that Santa’s elves brought.

Get an appropriate lens to let me photograph birds. Start using Merlin and eBird. Do the Cornell nesting project.

The goal if I can find time and upper body strength: a kayak to learn more about what goes on in the water.

The big goal: run a couple of sessions on iNat at the local library to get more people making observations in the parks.

Continue keeping up with New England unknowns and moving up general IDs

I really love this place. Thanks to all of you.

6 Likes

Me too. I have far too many blurry photos in my library…

1 Like

I encourage you to do the photo book thing. I have been doing tgem since 2020 and find them both helpful and useful…

2 Likes

Just realized I haven’t replied yet.

I don’t have anymore archival photos to upload, so that’s out.

Since I seem to have taken on the role of a power identifier rather than a power observer, I think that it would be good for me to pick a taxon for which I usually provide genus-level IDs, and learn the species in it (probably geographically limited at first).

Or, perhaps pick a family of insects and learn some of the genera.

4 Likes

i think i’m going to try to be nicer to people.

i’m also going to try to train myself to do one arm pullups. useful for holding a camera still, wrestling attacking dogs and alligators, and saving myself from falling off cliffs.

11 Likes

As always:

• Further supplement and correct the taxonomy on iNaturalist (even if usually hardly anyone notices anything about it…)

• I will continue to look out for species that may not yet have been scientifically described. In addition, I have to annoy a few people about some observations, some of which I have suspected for a long time that they could be undescribed species. I would like to clarify that…

• I will also continue to search for species that have not yet been found or identified on iNaturalist.

This year I should also pay more attention to my health and finally buy a new camera so that I can finally make observations myself again…

Maybe I’ll get to know a few nature lovers in real life, I’ve been pretty lonely for the last few years due to depression and the subsequent corona pandemic.

I would also like to get back into a job somehow if I can do it… Maybe just part-time. Of course, if possible, it should have something to do with botany or wildlife conservation. I want to be able to do something with my knowledge and my enthusiasm for botany. :-)

15 Likes

I think I might try to narrow down fungi observations more. Until now, I’ve been IDing unknown fungus broadly as taxa such as Basidiomycota or Lecanoromycetes. Wish me luck!

4 Likes

Have you considered explaining the benefits (and community need) of Identifying in addition to Observing?

1 Like

I personally do maybe not actively see your work behind the scenes (partly, because I do like to observe certain plants but know net to nothing about them), but I certainly notice and value your work as an IDer!

5 Likes

Thanks! I have some info on other presentations people have used. I will look for that info and make sure it’s included.

3 Likes

My goal this year is to see better how organisms interact. Why are some birds found regularly on one beach but not the next? What are they eating, and why is that food here but not there? Learning trees and the plants that make up various habitats is central to this… but Inat has already made me (a little) better there. I’ve always been a birder that has seen little but the birds. Thanks to you all for giving names to things I wasn’t seeing.

5 Likes

Thank you :blush:

1 Like