3.2.2 iOS app crashes when photo library option is selected on older iOS

Platform: iOS app. My iPhone’s Xr’s iOS is 12.1.2

App version number: 3.2.2

Description of problem :
First of all, this looks somewhat similar to this issue that has been resolved before in 2019: https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/need-info-ios-app-crashes-when-you-tap-on-photo-library-icon-in-ios-13/6762
Similarly to that, taking photos from the app works fine.
Additionally, selecting “no photo” from “observe” on the menu bar on the bottom works fine, and I can add photos from that screen from my photo library, but only if I select “no photo” first. Adding photos from my photo library to pre-existing observations also works perfectly fine.
However, selecting “observe” from the menu bar and then “photo library” will always result in a crash 100% of the time.
I have uninstalled and re-installed the app, and the problem still persists. This crash has only happened after the app was updated to version 3.2.2.
I assume this has to do with my older iOS because I don’t really see anyone else with this issue in 2021 (but I may be wrong!).
I just wanted to bring this to your attention if this is something more easily fixable, and just in case anyone else has this issue. Let me know if I should provide any additional information or screenshots. Thank you so much for your help!

1 Like

I just updated my phone to the latest iOS (after like 2 years lol) and it works fine now. I’m still going to leave this up just in case anyone out there experiences this. It may also be a good idea to prompt users to update their software so that the app will be compatible with their device, if this is something not worth supporting (which is understandable!)

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll let our iOS developer know.

1 Like