A different HEIC question

Thanks for weighing in! I’ll admit I’m not familiar with the term colorspace, so not sure about that one. But in answer to your other two points, great ideas but I don’t think either of them are at play here. None of these are “live photos” (I always make sure to have that feature turned off), and I take all my photos as single photos rather than using the options to take a series. Also, ALL of the photos EVENTUALLY work if I give them enough time. So there doesn’t seem to be any distinction between the individual files.

I am a Mac user, running Monterey. On Firefox, I uploaded a bunch of .heic files - my own and ones which have been given me by different friends and family members (with different phones). All just come up like this :

I repeated with one of the images on Chrome and Safari, also the same.

1 Like

Did you just put these photos onto your Mac recently? If so, I wonder what will happen if you give it 24 to 48 hours and try again. That’s what works for me.

Oh I just read @pisum’s comment above :

I tried doing it through the Photos app and it does indeed seem to load it if I take that route.

There was a mix, some from this week, some from last year.

Aha! So it sounds like the Mac Photos app is indeed behind the conversions, if it works for you when uploading from the app but not otherwise. So interesting!

1 Like

Yes it seems to have some automatic export settings when you drag and drop anything straight out of it. Even if you drag a photo into it and then back on to your desktop it converts it to jpeg.

The direct dragging of Photos to browser only seems to work on Safari for me though. It doesn´t appear to work on Firefox or Chrome.

2 Likes

Really fascinating! Thanks for the sleuthing!

Strange that I’m using Firefox and it still works for me, albeit only after some time has passed. I’ll have to try uploading from Safari and see if that bypasses the waiting period.

1 Like

Another workaround to your problem would be to change the settings on your phone camera app. On my iPhone 7, I can choose whether the default is to save a photo as jpeg or heic.

I think I can do that on this one too. (I went to this 13 from a 6 and I still feel like I’m learning my way around it.) The thing is that HEIC apparently take up MUCH less space, and I tend to take A LOT of photos without clearing things out that often. So I do like the space-saving aspect. But definitely an option to consider!

2 Likes

revisiting this…

according to https://mackeeper.com/blog/convert-heic-to-jpg-on-mac/, the Photos app does indeed do an automatic conversion on drag and drop.

the article also mentions the export process described in the other thread by sullivanrabbit, and it also mentions the Automator-based conversion method i linked an article to above.

so it sounds like these three methods would be the 3 out-of-the-Mac methods for heic-to-jpg conversion.

4 Likes

Thank you again for all your help with getting to the bottom of this!

This does indeed seem to be what’s going on. And I suppose the reason it takes time for the Photos app exporting feature to kick in must be because of some sort of race condition as you suggested earlier.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.