A gentle plea when adding new taxa: add taxon framework relationship

Especially for those that fall under taxon frameworks, in particular for things like plants that are covered, but not locked to please take a moment if you create a new species to take a quick moment to fill in the taxon framework documentation.

It is 20 seconds of work, but will make managing taxa reviews etc so much easier.

2 Likes

Can’t @loarie just mass import them though?

Yes, but I assume unless they turn it into some kind of scheduled / scripted task we want to minimize keeping asking for different loads to be run.

Definitely a good reminder, though your time estimate may be a little optimistic, if you include the time to research the name in the standard reference for that taxon framework.

Just FYI for other curators who haven’t worked with TFRs yet:

• Create the new taxon
  • On the Taxonomy tab of the new taxon page, click Taxonomy Details
  • Click Add Relationship if one does not already exist. (Otherwise, edit the existing relationship and make sure it conforms with the following.)
  • If the same taxon concept is recognized in the standard reference (i.e., POWO for plants), populate the External Taxa blanks for the matching taxon, and populate the URL with a direct link to the taxon page in the standard reference. For example, Nemacladus rigidus: http://www.plantsoftheworldonline.org/taxon/urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:144197-1
  • If the new taxon includes two or more taxa in the standard reference, use Add an external taxon as needed to list all included standard taxa. Note: this is a deviation and should be supported by community discussion and consensus first, usually via a taxon flag.
  • If the new taxon is part of a split from a broader standard taxon, look at the other split taxa first to see if any of them have an existing TFR. If one does, use Associate an internal taxon if needed to add the new taxon to the split. If not, create a new TFR that includes the single external taxon, and all the internal taxa associated with the split. Again, this is a deviation that should already have been discussed and documented.
  • If the new taxon does not exist in any form in the standard reference (newly described, etc.), leave the External Taxa blank, and in the Notes add a URL and/or other documentation for the new taxon.
  • Be sure to document any related discussion or other source information with links in the Notes section.
  • Save the new or edited TFR record.
5 Likes

Link to more info on Taxon Frameworks

2 Likes

I was commenting on the incremental time to add it, I was assuming if you are adding it, you’ve already done that research. It is 5 fields, 2 of which are dropdowns.

1 Like

that’s the plan

In a perfect world, it would not be a scheduled or scripted task, but a database trigger that fired off upon entry of a new record to the database.

2 Likes

@kschnei, I hadn’t thought about this issue with changing the Salticidae phylogenetic classification. Since Maddison’s breakdown adds several levels to what the WSC reflects, it would throw a wrench in the framework relationships. Maybe there is a database source we can link it to? I don’t know.

When you refer to ‘levels’ are you talking about things like tribes, subfamilies etc ?

If so, it is considered acceptable and appropriate to incorporate those into the taxonomy, provided they are something that can be referenced, and entered as a deviation. The same is done for example on plants where the reference used does not capture these levels.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: No notification of resolved flags

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.