Access pinned locations on the Batch Edit screen

Posting on behalf of @AlainHogue, who asked me to do so to prevent any mistranslations.

The request is to allow users to access their pinned locations when using the Batch Edit screen, for users who are refining and correcting the locations of older observations.

Fabulous suggestion and I would find it useful.

2 Likes

This would also be very useful when importing photos from elsewhere, e.g. Flickr. You can’t access pinned locations when doing that either. I have hundreds of observations recorded in my Flickr account, and it is very cumbersome to have to constantly relocate locations after importing, so I haven’t done it with respect to many of them yet.

1 Like

Additional suggestion.

To change the location of a photo, I have to click on “Modifier” (screen 1), then on “modifier” again (screen 2). Then I have to manually enter the new coordinates (screen 3).

On “screen 3”, it would be very useful to be able to choose from my existing pined locations instead of having to manually enter the new coordinates.

1 Like

Has anyone found a workaround for this? I know I can add a location manually to all the uploads in the batch and “apply all”, but using a pinned location would make it much, much faster. And, I always have to remember to either upload images all from the same location, or apply the same location to all and change just the few that were in a different location.

Is there a way to import images from Flickr with the iNat uploader? That is a very handy tool. :)

You need to link your iNat account to your Flickr account in your Account Settings. Then you can go to https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/import#photo_import to import photos from Flickr.

Yes, thank you! I use this all the time. :)

The iNat uploader I am referring to is the UI that looks completely different when you upload from your hard drive, rather than another cloud source. It includes selecting a subset of photos to add pinned locations, as well as several other useful features, like easily combining images into the same observation, etc.

Does that make sense?

I assume you mean https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/upload correct? (It’s always best to share URLs so we know we’re talking about the same thing).

The Flickr importer is very old and does use the Batch Edit screen. There currently isn’t a workaround for this.

I would like this feature. My camera does not have GPS and I load obs from the website, using a fairly general location (as precise as I can). There are times when I am able to refine this later to an even more precise location but the requirement to go to each individual obs and re-enter the lats and longs is daunting.

I am in need of just this feature at the moment. In the interest of Privacy my procedure for home observations has been to create 2 pinned locations with obscured locations. 1 for Moth Sheeting and a 2nd for all other observations. I’m discovering now that when adding to a Biodiversity project now running that many of my obs are not being tallied.

Has anyone discovered a work around to do a batch edit?

Is this feature request in the works?

Regards,
Jim.

I just realized one of my pinned location was not accurate and I’ve been using that for a few years as I do survey in the same area, I’d really like to see this feature to update the thousand + observations I got for one area.