Accuracy value shown in modal isn't the same as on observation page

I don’t know if this was already discussed or if this is somehow intentional, but the accuracy value displayed on the identify modal isn’t always the same as the one shown on the observation page. The value shown in the modal is the actual accuracy value entered by the user, while the one on the observation page seems to be the larger of either the user-entered value or the size of the obscuring rectangle. This is true regardless of whether the user chose to obscure or the observation is obscured due to the taxon geoprivacy.

Below are one plant and one mammal observation from the same county – the obscuring rectangle size is 28.36 km, but that’s only visible in the observation with a small acc value.

observation 1:
modal

observation page

observation 2:

modal

observation page

While it’s nice to be able to see the user-entered accuracy value somewhere, it seems to me that a higher priority is to display the accuracy value that matches the displayed rectangle. Thus, in these examples, 28.36 km should be the value displayed in all four places. And maybe the user entered value can be displayed somewhere else? Alternatively, increase the size of the obscuring rectangle on observations where the accuracy value is larger than the the obscuring rectangle.

1 Like

I think the larger of the two values should always be displayed. That goes for the map too: if the circle is larger than the rectangle, then the circle should be shown there, not the rectangle.

As I’ve thought about it more, I think what I’d really prefer is to :

a) have the displayed obscuring rectangle enlarged if the user-entered accuracy is large
b) have the Identify Modal and Obs details both use the same user-entered accuracy value (and both in the same units please)
c) add a separate field to the obs details for the size of the obscuring rectangle (only for obscured obs)

The reason I would move the size of the obscuring rectangle to a new field is that the rectangle itself already gives you a visual indication of its size. The user-entered value is useful to me because I’m more likely to want to interact with an observer who entered a small value that was obscured up than with an observer who entered a large value. So I don’t need the numeric size of the rectangle easily accessible, but it would be useful to know if the user-entered value is smaller than the visual indicator.

1 Like