Add button to "Take another photo" on photo review screen

I was trying to take multiple pix for a single observation of a tree the other day, and i had a cup of coffee in my other hand. I have an iphone xs, which is xsively large to be operated with a single hand.

So, when i lifted my other hand to help my phone hand take a second picture of a leaf above my head, i nearly poured my coffee into my face.

When you take a picture, two buttons appear: retake and next. There should be a third button: add another photo to the observation. That button does appear, but it comes on the next screen, at the upper left, and not near your thumb, where it should be. One thus has to bring one’s other hand into play.

I want to contribute richly detailed, multi-photo observations. This feature would help. Thanks for listening!

RF

Hi @raphael1c — I moved your topic from General to Feature Requests and changed the title to reflect a specific action.

2 Likes

Thanks so much!

1 Like

This one is a bit more Android centric, but you might also be interested in this additional feature request to make adding observations from the app quicker: https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/save-and-add-another-observation-to-streamline-adding-obs-from-mobile/2236

2 Likes

I would like this same ability using inaturalist on a desktop. I prefer to use a desktop over the phone app. When I click upload, if I upload more than one photo, it automatically makes them separate observations.

The way it is now, I upload one photo, complete the observation and then go back an add more photos to it. Seems there should be an easier way. Thanks

2 Likes

On the upload page you can drag them into each other, or you can select multiple photos and then click “Combine” on the top.

4 Likes

My first reaction was “put the coffee down”, but I have to admit to having nearly done the same thing! Actually, even when observing two handed it can be a problem, one hand holding a branch out the way or a leaf held up to better see the bug on the underneath of it.

3 Likes

@raphael1c - there are advantages to taking photos within the app, but you can also take photos with your phone’s camera when in the field and import them all into one observation later. That being said, I see the utility of a third button on the retake/next screen.

Here’s a tutorial video for the web uploader: https://www.inaturalist.org/pages/video+tutorials#add_web

Whaaaaaat? Put the coffee down!? madness!

:wink:

3 Likes

Haha… Maybe iNat needs a “coffee mode”

2 Likes

2020/05 still, I have to upload every picture of one observation one by one.

It would be much better if you could select multiple images of an observation!

This is a different issue: https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/multiple-images-selection-in-gallery-disabled-in-latest-update-and-photo-metadata-not-being-read/7519

From the Android perspective, the app doesn’t have a “photo review screen” that we can add anything to. When you choose to take a new picture in the iNat app, the app tells the operating system, “this person wants to take a photo” and the system says, “ok, these three apps know how to take photos” and it either presents the user with an option to choose a camera app or chooses the default camera app. From that point until you return to the observation editing view you are not in the iNat app and we can’t control the experience, but once you have returned, you can add another photo by tapping the camera icon in the upper left or the one in the app bar at the bottom (which I’m pretty sure we added after this request was made). Anyway, since I think we’re doing what we can in the Android app, I’m going to remove that tag here.

I’m going to close this request, we won’t be moving forward with it.