For a New Observation, can I upload multiple photos immediately?

When I create a new observation and select multiple photos, multiple observations are created. Is there any way when creating a new observation for the many photos to be associated with the single observation?

1 Like

Of course, just drag and drop them in an order you like or use any system of choosing multiple objects you know and click “combine”, or click “choose all” and “combine”.

2 Likes

When you add photos to the uploader, they automatically become separate observations, but all you have to do is drag and drop them into eachother to create one observation with multiple photos, or click “select all” in the tools, and then select “combine”.

When you drag one photo into another, the one you’re moving will go behind the one it’s being put into, so pick which one you want to be the first image in the observation, and drag the others into that in the order you want them to appear :)

They will appear properly once the observation is loaded, in the uploader when you click to expand, they’ll show up in the order they originally appeared, but don’t worry, they’ll move when it’s posted.

inaturalist example

4 Likes

Hi @rashid_ali and welcome to the iNat forum! Yes, you can do this via the browser interface or the mobile apps. In a browser, you just drag all the images to the same observation in the Upload dialog. In the Android app, you can choose multiple images from your phone when you create the observation, and you can add additional images as needed before (or after) you submit. I assume there is similar functionality in the iPhone app.

Does anyone know how to combine photos on the website using a Iphone?

Sounds like you’re using the desktop. Add just one photo first, then select multiple photos and drag the selected photos on top of the one photo you just added.

On a side note, if photos have GPS coordinates, it can be useful to check each of them by clicking on location. The location of an observation will be that of the first photo when uploading. I usually choose the photo with the best location accuracy as the first and sometimes re-order later from observation page, as explained here: https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/how-to-change-the-order-of-photos/2183

1 Like

This is great…didn’t know you could join them at this step! Thanks!

Many thanks everyone !!!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.