Add the "last position"

Думаю, я не единственный пользователь, который загружает фото сделанные фотоаппаратом без GPS и выставляет координаты вручную. На мой взгляд, было бы неплохо добавить кнопку “последнее местоположение” в окно выбора местоположения, наряду с “закреплённые местоположения”. Особенно удобно будет, когда загружаешь фото согласно маршрута пешего похода, как, например, здесь:

- гораздо удобнее ставить следующую точку от “последнего местоположения”, чем от заранее выбранной точки где-нибудь в центре.

Google translate.
I think I’m not the only user who uploads photos taken with the camera without GPS and sets the coordinates manually. In my opinion, it would be nice to add the “last location” button to the location selection window, along with “pinned locations”. It will be especially convenient when you upload a photo according to the hiking route, as, for example, here: (screenshot above) - it is much more convenient to put the next point from the “last location” than from a pre-selected point somewhere in the center.

How does one define “last location”? Is it just the last location you entered in the uploader? The uploader map already zooms to the general location of other observations in the batch.

2 Likes

Последнее место как точка, последней поставленная вручную. Что бы меньше тратить время на перемотку карты от закреплённых местоположений и не сбиваться на визуально схожих элементах ландшафта.

Eleven people have voted for this, but I still don’t understand how it would be an improvement over what is currently available. Here is a video of me adding locations to three observations along the same trail. How would entering “Last Position” be an improvement? Not challenging the request, I’m just trying to understand it better.

(Note: the video is still processing right now, so only a small version is available. A larger one should be available soon)

1 Like

Вот пример одного моего маршрута на 256 наблюдений: https://www.inaturalist.org/calendar/leschij/2020/6/23
Тут проще было бы точки от последнего наблюдения ставить, а не от трёх закреплённых по ближайшим деревням.

If you upload your observations one by one you surely miss a “last position” function. But if you upload several observations at the same time you have the desired function. Check it out.

@tiwane Your video is not working here.

1 Like

Когда есть более 30 наблюдений на расстоянии более 3-х километров ваш способ становиться неудобным.
When there are more than 30 observations at a distance of more than 3 kilometers, your way becomes uncomfortable.

1 Like

I agree that this would be useful. @tiwane With only three observations, being able to return to the location of the previous wouldn’t be necessary. It’s when you have fifty, some on the same trail and some not, that it becomes annoying to zoom in every time. See, with the current system the map zooms out to encompass the locations of every observation previously added. If all my observations from this import are at my house, it’s great because it’s already in the right spot. But if half are at my house and half are at a park 5 miles away, it gets annoying. With “last location” functionality, I would only have to change the zoom once instead of 25 times.

Here, I’ll show you. The below map is a case where the current system works well.

This one is a case where it doesn’t.

Sometimes my observation groups are even farther apart than that, in which case it becomes even more annoying. This is just an example. The photos I used were from observations already submitted, and the locations are incorrect, but I made sure not to resubmit them.

2 Likes

Yes! I would like to see this on the app as well. I take several images with my camera, which has no GPS. I then transfer the images to my phone as it is easier to edit images there. I then use the app to upload to iNat. It is very time consuming to have to add the location one by one to 50+ records. A last position feature would allow you to select the location for your first observation then essentially copy that to your subsequent observations from the same area. This would be extremely helpful!

1 Like

It sounds like that’s what is desired. Perhaps it is the location of the last observation that was selected. I might add that the zoom level would also have to be copied over, otherwise this would be useless. To me, this request sounds like the “Lock zoom level” feature in Identify, but where the next observation selected has the location of the previous observation. But would this only apply to observations without locations? Or to all observations? Could it be sticky?

You can have saved locations or use the bulk edit if the location is exactly the same.

That is how I imagine it. For one with a location, it should zoom in on it, as it does now. For one without, it could go to the last observation selected, or more likely, to the last location entered. I think you could also put a button on the map for ones with locations already, “Go To Last Selected Location” or similar, in case you wanted to change them. But that would be lower priority.

This would save me a lot of screen grabbing and moving. I always submit observations one at a time but often twenty or so in succession. Being able to simply click “Last” would usually take me close to the location I’m looking for.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum! I don’t think this request is addressing successive uploads, just multiple observations within the same upload. But perhaps the feature could carry over. Have you considered uploading multiple observations at the same time and changing the location for all of them at once?

1 Like

У меня бывает свыше 100 наблюдений в один день на маршруте. Если их загружать и редактировать одновременно - очень сильно тормозит сайт. Плюс всё равно приходится снижать масштаб, если они растянуты на расстояние свыше 1 км.

@thomaseverest - I tried batch uploading. I found it too confusing. To me, the subjects were in the wrong order (backwards) which made following my photo walk awkward. Is there a way to reorder the uploaded photos? I also have a hard time selecting only the subjects I want to upload - I don’t want to treat every photo I take as a different subject.

I may well get used to it, but still prefer to do single uploads in sequence at this time.

You can combine photos into single observations before upload.

Not that I know of, which has also annoyed me sometimes.

One option is to edit all your observations to the same location, and then make slight edits from there. This is less effective on longer trips but for only 20 observations that might not be too bad.

Thanks for the response. I’ll give it another try this PM. I usually don’t post more than 20 or 30 observations from one walk.

You could drag and drop them in the upload page, of course, although that would be pretty tedious. The upload page should import them in the order which their displayed on your computer. So after I’ve exported my photos, they looks like this on my mac:

If I drag those into the uploader (or use the dialog box to choose them) they appear in that order in the uploader.

@edhass it looks like you use Lightroom, so I’d recommend using the geotagging method shown here to get locations for your observations. I can’t tell you how much easier it’s made my iNatting.

I’m a newish user and I’ve just read through the thread.
The reasons for my wanting some such feature centre around the fact that I do additions as separate uploads.

• Firstly, when you are getting to know a new place with new species, if you like or need to work them out before submitting to the site, you’re going to be submitting observations one-by-one as you work them out, and they may be 30 mins or half a day apart, or even several days, depending on how long it takes you to work out the species. This contrasts with someone who takes a lot of pictures and puts them all up in one go hoping someone will ID them or someone who knows the place and the species. Generally speaking the plants here in Antalya are best ID’d before uploading because you need to know what relevant plant features to upload, show them in the best photographic order with most relevant features first, and anyway most viewers won’t have the skills to ID them so it’s best to put them up correctly.
  • Secondly, in places with poor internet connection or infrastructure, you’re not going to be uploading them all in one go even if you normally would, you’ll do them one at a time. To illustrate, the upload speed here in the city centre is 80 k/s, so I’d not upload more than a few pictures at a time even if I wished.
  • I can see the points raised earlier about multiple location bunches and need to be able to reorder photos.
  • The best solution I can see is that when you add a photo it takes the timestamp two endpoints of your photos (where taken about the same moment) and finds the position of the photo closest to that time range (before or after) and opens the map locator in the position of the observation that has that time-nearest submitted photo. This would mean you could add observations in absolutely any order, even old ones, and it would always start you off in the right location. You would not need any special pin or button to achieve this. In cases of multiple dates such as a plant taken at flowering and fruiting time or going back the next day or on the way back taking further pictures it would calculate multiple timestamp ranges from the representative moments by sorting the photo timestamps and going through and detecting time jumps (i.e. gaps) of e.g. 20 mins and collating the time ranges of the resulting time clumps, which is trivial to code, and then in terms of SQL logic the lookup is also trivial from that set of time points. Time range midpoints could be used instead of the two end points for each but the end points would be more accurate.
  • (Alternatively a less-good implementation would be to have a “last location added” option which could be an unremovable pin named something like “Place Last Added” that’s updated with every addition, or a symbol that you click. This visually requires extra features that calculating the location from picture timestamp doesn’t require.)
    Cheers,
    David
1 Like