Our organizations has recently created an umbrella project to track the overall impact of our various university courses and other initiatives (bioblitzes, research projects etc.). For some of our initiatives it is useful to use other umbrella projects to capture the impact of specific sub-projects as well (e.g. a university course that wishes to have groups of students displayed on a leaderboard). However, we can’t seem to find a way to add one umbrella project to our larger institution-wide umbrella. I thought I tested this earlier before we decided on this architecture, but now it doesn’t seem to be possible. Has anyone else had trouble with this?
it’s umbrella projects all the way down.
but seriously i don’t think it’s possible to add one umbrella project to another.
The iNat info says somewhere that Umbrella Projects cannot be added to Umbrella Projects. I would have liked this feature too, but I can understand that it would be a heavy load for servers, perhaps?
Yes, I had this discussion with one of our developers a few weeks ago and I don’t think it’s something we’ll implement, it’s just a bit too crazy as far as queries are concerned. So this is not a bug, it’s the way projects have been set up.
if this ever gets implemented one day, i think it would be fun to set up an umbrella project A that includes an umbrella project B that in turn includes umbrella project A.
Thanks all for your prompt feedback. I can see how the back end of this could become a cumbersome russian-doll type situation.
For now I think we’ve found a workaround. The plan is to create a parallel collection project to capture all the observations made by students in the course, over the dates of the assignment, and then add that collection project to our institutional umbrella project that track our overall stats. At the end of the course we’ll likely delete the course sub-umbrella used to display the leaderboard of different student groups, and only keep the class collection project to track the stats for the course as a whole. Please chime in if you can see a more elegant solution here.
I moved this topic from Bug Reports to General and slightly modified the title. Feel free to change it if what I wrote doesn’t work for you.