Allow community ID opt-out at all times

Opting-out of Community ID is only available when your own ID differs from IDs put by others. For the times when you can anticipate needing to toggle a specific observation to opt-out, it would be handy to not have to wait for the differing ID.

Similarly, the option to toggle off the opt-out should also be available at all times.

Out of votes, but supporting.

1 Like

Now you should have a bunch more votes. :)

3 Likes

I recently ran into this as well and checked to see if someone had already put in a question/request about this.

An example use case is e.g. for wild seedlings that will likely get bumped back to some higher taxon because “you can’t identify the species.” I understand most often this is done to keep things that others disagree can be ID’d to species from being able to achieve research grade. I don’t care about RG as I’m making the observation mainly for my own phenology tracking purposes. The goal for me would be to find a way to mark such observations casual with species ID, since I’m sure about the ID from hiking the same locations year after year, and don’t need to have others scratching their head over that.

The combo opt-out plus “it’s as good as it can be” seems to do that without having to resort to marking something cultivated when it’s not. Being able to do so right away may help others not to “waste” any time on it. Currently, it seems I can only do this once someone else has put a disagreement to my ID. If there’s a better way to do this, I’d be curious to know. And yes, putting the intent of the observation into the description is a no-brainer but I find not everyone reads those.

3 Likes

I’m going to close this request. There’s an option to opt out by default, or you can follow your observations and opt out when you feel it’s necessary.