Am I doing something wrong? (Website uploader does not grab date/location info)

:relaxed: yes, very appreciative of that contribution. Staff has privately told me more than once not to use iPhone or IPad on the website. I’ve explained that using my very old desktop computer is not really an option for me, as it is quite old, immobile, not update able, and not likely to get used much.

The iOS app is very very limited compared to android and the website.
I should probably document that
my old Mac computer will not load ObWhen I pick out photos, it just spins and spins for days.

I want my iPhone 11 Pro Max and iPad to work with INst.

Just cannot get a leg up, it seems

My phone and iPad are prettyvbboth up to date and useable, but I am
advised to not use not use iOS devices. (Sorry, not okay with that, … u not sorry).

I also explained how to get the website working on your mobile devices by setting “Settings->Camera->Formats setting” to “Most Compatible”. Could you try that?

1 Like

I will check that, too! Thanks!
Previsiously, I compared my iOS settings to @carrieseltzer. Those settings were identical, it’s but no reason not to check your solution, too!

Well, it might not work either because as I read on about the problem it seems that the browser will always remove the metadata from the images. In such case there’s probably nothing that can be done about the issue on iPhone and iPad. Apple has decided to not allow its mobile users to share this information (image metadata)

Maybe, but the meta data goes fine anywhere else. It goes fine from the iNat iOS app. But, not when the interface is the iNat website.

Unfortunately, the iOS app is still very rudimentary compared to Android and the iNat web app.

I will also note that @carrieseltzer ’s XS iPhone app loads metadata without a hitch. And, as mentioned, we compared iPhone settings and they were the same.

Not an easy nut; especially when staff just say to not use iOS devices.:roll_eyes:. Yet, there are 1.6 billion iOS device users. Dunno.

Sorry, I just need to clear this up. In our correspondence I wrote:

Personally I wouldn’t use an iPhone or iPad to upload an observation until we can redesign the site to be more mobile friendly.

I understand how that might be misconstrued, but our discussion was about using the iNaturalist website on a mobile device, so in that context I thought that it was understood I was only referring to uploading via our website, not our iOS app. But I could have been more specific, I’m sorry. Neither I nor any other iNat staff would tell people not to use iOS devices.

However, our website currently isn’t designed for mobile browsers (like those on iOS devices) so there are a lot of limitations and issues if you try to use it with one, especially when it comes to uploading observations. I wish that wasn’t the case, but we don’t have the resources to make the web uploader and the site as a whole more mobile-friendly at the moment. The mobile app for iOS makes it quite easy to upload a photo from your phone to iNaturalist from any iOS device, which is why I recommend using that rather than the website if you’re on an iPad or iPhone. Yes, it doesn’t have some of the features that the Android app and website do, but it will allow you to easily create an observation and include all of the necessary parts of an observation.

2 Likes

This is it! My phone is set to “most compatible”, but if I change it to “high efficiency”, any photos I take lack metadata when I attempt to upload them via mobile safari. Thanks, @exonie!

@teellbee please check and (hopefully) change that setting, take new photos, and check if the metadata comes through when using the web uploader on mobile safari.

1 Like

[quote=“tiwane, post:26, topic:22333”]
I recommend using that rather than the website if you’re on an iPad or iPhone. Yes, it doesn’t have some of the features that the Android app and website do, but it will allow you to easily create an observation and include all of the necessary parts of an observation.
[/quote].
Thanks, this is exactly what I’ve been doing. Then, I swipe out of the app*, open Safari, find an open browser tab, go the website for all follow-on (Compare, Withdraw, Annotations and Tags, etc.).

Also, I am sorry if it seems I misconstrued your statements.

When you said, ‘personally, I wouldn’t’ it sounds like a directive to me ( it is not expressed as an imperative, admittedly ). And, I hear that the limited resources means iOS parity will not get addressed in the foreseeable future. I’m a little sad about that.

I do find the fixes and improvements that that have been done to iOS app (4-picture picker and sound recording) are nice.

*It still would be so nice to have an easer way to switch from the iOS app to the website (which doesn’t seem too labor-intensive, afaik). I think I recall making a feature request for that, but it would have been a long time ago.

1 Like

Thank you :smiley_cat: to @exonie and @carrieseltzer . I edited that Camera setting and will try it today. Honestly, that Setting is buried so deep and is so mysterious, it never would have occurred to me to tinker with it. I will also restart my devices - just because. :smiley_cat:

1 Like

Awesome! Also tested this and it works for me. I chose to keep HEIF on since these photos seem to transmit fine when uploaded from my PC or iOS app, but this is a great find! Also explains why photos taken with my previous phone didn’t have this issue. Mystery solved :)

Well, it almost works for me. But not really. :pensive:

After the photo’s meta data loads (!!), I go to the Species field. The screen’s focus auto zooms into the Species field. I can fill that in, but then the screen is frozen and I cannot scroll away or zoom out to hit Save or use other functions of the upload screen. I tried it twice and rebooted i between.

Is there a way to switch to and try the Desktop mode?

Okay, I may have found part of the glitchy biz cause.

After requesting the Desktop site, I realized the extra large font I use (awful eyesight) was some how inhibiting the ability to pinch, scroll, or zoom the screen. When I switched to a tiny font, I could navigate the page again and access the part of the screen that let me share the OB.

So, slogging through …

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.