Android app: Choice of language does not apply List "My Observations"

Platform : Android

App version number: 1.27.5 (547)

Screenshots of what you are seeing (instructions for taking a screenshot on computers and mobile devices:

Description of problem (please provide a set of steps we can use to replicate the issue, and make as many as you need.): My phone (Samsung A52s) is set-up in French, but I prefer to use Inaturalist in English.
I choose english in the parameters, but the species name in my observation list stay in French, same for the “Grid” Display.
On the other hand, the species name appear in english in the observation itself, and in the “research field”, when looking for an ID.

for what it’s worth, i’m not able to reproduce the problem on my Pixel 3a. i switched the primary language on the Pixel to French (Canada), and then selected English as the iNat language, with Canada as the preferred place for common names. this results in English names all across the board. changing the iNat settings to use the device language or French (Canada) results in (mostly) French names. switching back to English in iNat gives me English names.

have you tried restarting the app? logging out and back into the app? restarting you phone?

you could also get the log files from your phone and send them to iNat (

Hi Pisum,
I restarted the app, and also updated it, but that did not change anything.
But I just tried to switch back to French, then by mistake a non-latin alphabet langage, and again to english and now strangely it is working !
Thank you, and I hope you could easily switched your phone to english :)

1 Like

i’m glad you were able to resolve the problem for yourself. everything for me is still working as i like it.

Actually the fix was temporary, as I have now a permanent mix-match of frenglish in the app. I will send the logfile.

Correstponded with @lauren822 and I think the issue is that they were prioritizing Canada for their common names place preference. That preference overrides one’s language preference and in Canada some default names are French and some are English.

i did that when i was testing, and i didn’t notice any French names show up. but whatever the issue was, i’m happy that it’s been resolved.