Please fill out the following sections to the best of your ability, it will help us investigate bugs if we have this information at the outset. Screenshots are especially helpful, so please provide those if you can.
Platform (Android, iOS, Website): Android
App version number: 1.28.20 (573)
URLs (aka web addresses) of any relevant observations or pages:
Screenshots of what you are seeing (instructions for taking a screenshot on computers and mobile devices: https://www.take-a-screenshot.org/):
Description of problem (please provide a set of steps we can use to replicate the issue, and make as many as you need.):
Step 1: Go into Explore.
Step 2: Search for Flies in North America. (Not sure whether the size of the location or size of the taxon makes a difference).
Step 3: Click on an observation.
Step 4: Press Suggest ID. Type in a taxon, select it, then press the check button.
Step 5: Press the back button to return to the Explore screen. (this bug may or may not be related to me going back before the observation has updated to show my new ID)
Step 6: Repeat steps 3-5 several times. (not sure exactly how many, may need to be be 20 or more)
Step 7: The first glitch that I notice is that clicking on the check mark brings me to the “Species Search” screen again instead of back to the observation. Pressing the back button on my phone brings me back to the “Add identification,” at which point the check mark button works again. This may or may not successfully add the identification. The “Species Search” glitch continues until I restart the app.
Step 8: Within the next few observations, the “Add identification” screen stops working. Clicking the check mark button (the second time) brings me back to the observation, but my ID does not save. At this point, I can’t add any more ID’s to this or any other observation until I restart the app.