Android App suddenly can't access images from Camera

Thank you. I’m using 442 now.

I think Issue #893 describes the final problem I still see: after initial installation, sharing from Samsung Gallery doesn’t pick up location from the image metadata, but there’s no warning or prompt to enable access.

When there’s a build for #893, I can uninstall and install that new build to see if it fixes that problem.

2 Likes

@xris, you can confirm that that’s the issue by first taking a photo in the iNat app, granting the location permission it requests, and then sharing a photo from Samsung Gallery to the iNat app. If the coordinates come through, then that’s the problem we need to solve. If not, we’ve got another problem.

A weird aspect of this is that Android 10 has an ACCESS_MEDIA_LOCATION permission we need to request to access coordinates in photos, BUT it doesn’t allow the end user control over that specific permission, so even if you check the app permissions in Settings and it looks like iNat has the location permission, it might not have the ACCESS_MEDIA_LOCATION permission. To grant that permission, you have to do something in the app that requests it, like making a new observation in the app.

1 Like

I’ve just help someone to set up a new Samsung Note and when I opened the Gallery app for the first time it asked if I wanted to allow the app to share location data with other apps.

It looks like that issue has been closed - is everything back to working now?