Animated GIF Observation Crashes Android App

Platform (Android, iOS, Website): Android (Pixel 4 XL)

App version number, if a mobile app issue (shown under Settings): 1.20.8 (439)

URLs (aka web addresses) of any relevant observations or pages: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/56902285

Description of problem (please provide a set of steps we can use to replicate the issue, and make as many as you need.):

Step 1: Open the above observation on the Android app. The app either immediately relaunches or crashes. The observation opens fine for me on PC browser.

1 Like

The GIF on that nematode observation is 24.5 MB. Not sure how the user got around the 20 MB upload limit,

I’d be willing to bet that the large file size is the source of the problem. Does the same happen when you access observations with smaller GIFs?

I usually do some size optimization before uploading, so perhaps try these:

2 Likes

That’s strange. The file I selected to upload was only 17 MB.

That being said, no, I can’t view any of the links you posted from the Android app. All of them crash the app.

1 Like

Well, that’s one theory out the window!

Looks like it’s a problem with GIFs in general then.

2 Likes

I can view them in the Android app, but they are static.

All of them show a still photo in the iNat app, but they don’t make the app crash or reload.

I’m running version 1.20.10 (441) of the Android iNat app, though.
Maybe you should upgrade and see if that resolves the issue?

I’m not seeing any update for the app yet, but I will report back here once I get that update.

1 Like

I was able to replicate in version 1.20.9 - 440 but not in the latest beta, 1.20.10, we did add a fix for that version. It’s currently at a 5% rollout, so you might see that version in the app store right now, but you probably won’t. If we see no major problems with this 5% rollout, we’ll expand it.

3 Likes

I have the newest version, 1.20.10 (441). It doesn’t play the gif, but it doesn’t crash anymore. I’m marking it as resolved. Thanks

2 Likes