Anyone attending Ecological Society of America meeting in Salt Lake City in August?

The last time I attended the Ecological Society of America annual meeting (in 2018 in New Orleans), I organized a meet up at a local bar/restaurant for iNaturalist enthusiasts. Anyone else planning to attend ESA (or local to Salt Lake City) and want to help plan a gathering near the convention center on August 5, 6, or 7? Someone who knows suitable local venues is a huge help.

To be listed formally in the conference program we should make a plan by March 12.

4 Likes

Carrie,
I live in Salt Lake City and have been here for about 35 years - Professor Emeritus at University of Utah.
I have an interest in helping out where I can with supporting iNaturalist group/gathering. I am not a member of ESA, but could be helpful with local intel and local venues - if and as needed.
Scott Wright (“hawksthree”) - I joined iNaturalist - last August 2019.
Keep me informed and you (and others) can contact me via messaging here in iNatForum or at my profile site here…hawksthree {Scott Wright}

2 Likes

I was there for the New Orleans Mixer – a cool gathering! It was a great way to meet folks passionate about iNaturalist other than through the unofficial Discord or local meetups/bioblitz events. I’m on the Front Range of Colorado and I might make it out there but only for a weekend on personal expenses. Please plan it, though! It means a lot to have iNaturalist represented on the official schedule, if not just for exposure.

2 Likes

I’ll be there and would love to take part! I let my membership lapse and don’t live nearby, but am happy to help if I can.

2 Likes

Thanks, everyone! I’ll be in touch directly sometime next week. In the meantime, if anyone else wants to be involved (local or ESA attendees), please continue to leave comments/ideas.

I think we should aim for Wednesday evening (6:30 – 8:00 PM) but it would be good if we didn’t conflict with the Natural History section mixer so I want to inquire with them about their anticipated timing.

1 Like

Carrie, thanks for organizing this again! We had a fun time in New Orleans.

I’m planning on attending the conference again this summer, so you can add me to the list!

1 Like

I’d love to come! I’ll be there (and presenting some of my iNaturalist-enabled research!)

3 Likes

I’ll be there @carrieseltzer—let me know if there’s anything I can do to help!

1 Like

Quick update: today is the ESA event deadline so I submitted a request for Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday evening, with a preference for Wednesday but a request to not conflict with the Natural History Section Mixer (which has been on Wednesday for at least the last couple of years). The advantage of submitting a formal event is that it will be searchable in the program.

I’m not sure when they’ll schedule it, but we have until May 7 (at the very latest) to find a suitable venue. Sounds like @hawksthree is best positioned as a local to help with the venue choice. I’ll start a private thread with hawksthree and @kcopas and anyone else who specifically wants to be part of the venue discussion/decision. My experience with event planning is that finding the right venue is at least half of it!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.