Are IDs that change on iNaturalist updated on GBIF?

This is interesting for another reason, if the observation that was corrected a few years later happens to be originally incorrect, what happens to the information that has already been transmitted to GBIF?

1 Like

It’s always updated with new info upload to gbif (1-2 weeks), same as when obs are deleted from gbif if they’re deleted on iNat.

8 Likes

Thank you for the explanation!

2 Likes

I met the woman who actually processes the uploads from iNaturalist to GBIF, sitting at the GBIF table in the vendor’s section at the Ecological Society of America meeting in 2019. I asked her the same question. She said that they do not have a process to go back and change IDs on observations that had already been uploaded to GBIF. I explained that that was a problem, as there are many research grade IDs that are incorrect, which often get changed eventually. She said that maybe they could work that into their process, to do every year or so. I don’t know if that has happened. This conflicts with @fffffffff’s answer, so I don’t know if @fffffffff is describing a new process, or if the 1-2 week uploads represent new research-grade observations only.

4 Likes

I am totally sure all the new differences (RG > Needs id or obs deleted = obs gone from GBIF) actually happen each time new data set is getting to GBIF.

Thanks, @fffffffff - if you don’t mind me asking, how do you know?

You can check your observations in GBIF, and when you change RG obs id there’s an indication that you need to wait for synchronization (sorry, not English version):

3 Likes

Cool, I didn’t think of checking my own observations. Thank you, @fffffffff.

Either that has changed since you talked to her, or she had incomplete info, as another GBIF employee has posted the opposite here

https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/observations-of-cultivated-plants-on-gbif/5296/4

3 Likes

Based on this and what @fffffffff was saying, it sounds like records are getting corrected at this point in time - which is great!

Hi folks, just a quick note that I split out this separate question about GBIF to its own topic.

2 Likes

This is really cool @fffffffff , would you be able to explain how you get that?

Thank you!

Well, just click on GBIF sign on observation to look at it or search by your name.

1 Like

That was easy, thank you!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.