Auto-importing new names grafts them to the wrong place

Please fill out the following sections to the best of your ability, it will help us investigate bugs if we have this information at the outset. Screenshots are especially helpful, so please provide those if you can.

Platform (Android, iOS, Website): Website

App version number, if a mobile app issue (shown under Settings or About):

Browser, if a website issue (Firefox, Chrome, etc) : latest Firefox on MacOS

URLs (aka web addresses) of any relevant observations or pages:

Screenshots of what you are seeing (instructions for taking a screenshot on computers and mobile devices:

Description of problem (please provide a set of steps we can use to replicate the issue, and make as many as you need.):

I was investigating a flag on a mis-grafted taxon, Stictosiphonia gracilis, which should be an alga. I found that the genus did not exist yet in our DB. In the past, I have found that the easiest way to get a genus added is to auto-import a species in that genus.

So I googled it to get a species name, found “Stictosiphonia kelanensis”, then used the identify page to start to add that name to a random observation so that I could auto-import it by clicking “Search external name providers”. After doing this, I discovered that the newly added taxon was also mis-grafted.

I did this once more with “Stictosiphonia intricata” while writing this up, and this one was also mis-grafted to an unrelated fish genus.

Stictosiphonia gracilis - grafted to fish genus Eviota
Stictosiphonia kelanensis - grafted to fish genus Melanochromis
Stictosiphonia intricata - grafted to fish genus Pseudoplatystoma

1 Like