Best places to see 17 year cicadas still?

Hello everyone. I’m in NY and went to see the 17 year cicadas in PA with friends in late May–but we arrived a little too early. :(

I would like to go again this coming week, and am trying to find the optimal place to do so. If there’s a place with a huge number still present in PA that would be ideal to reduce travel time, but if we have to go another hour south or so we can do it. I’m just not sure where the best place to aim for is. I know they were really dense in DC but with those broods emerging earlier than the PA ones I’m not sure if they’ve also died down a lot by now.

EDIT: Thank you all for the recommendations! :D We went to Princeton, NJ, and even though a lot were dead–hundreds were still alive and roaring! You could tell that development had taken its toll, but one tree we found in a park had multiple hundreds of discarded skins on it alone. Really fantastic to see and even my usually-indoorsy brother and not-into-bugs mother seemed to enjoy themselves.
Can’t wait to go again… in 2038! :)

2 Likes

At this point I think you might be too late. Here in Montgomery County, MD, the cicadas have already slowed down a lot, and there are only a few hundred in my entire block, including dead ones.

2 Likes

Last Sunday (June 13), we saw and heard many along the Horseshoe Trail in northern Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. Trailhead N 40 14.430 W 76 20.161. But it’s been a week and that’s an hour drive from me, so I haven’t checked. Cicadamania suggests maybe Princeton, New Jersey.

3 Likes

When I left Newark, Delaware, on Wednesday, there were still cicadas in White Clay Creek State Park, but I’m not sure how much longer they’ll still be there. I have become accustomed to their song, so I’ll miss them when I go back.

3 Likes

PS If you do decide to travel as far as Delaware, be aware that not every part of the park has cicadas (if they are still there). There were cicadas on the Judge Morris Estate part of the park near an easily accessible trailhead, next to the parking lot. I heard and saw them on Tuesday of this week, but their numbers are diminishing. Oh, and the Food Lion in north Newark on 896 and that shopping plaza had quite a few flying around still on Wednesday. Outside the stores obviously. :)

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/83220266

2 Likes

I have noticed a dropoff in the presence of cicadas here in DC just in the last couple of days. I miss them already!!! Thinking ahead about making plans to see Brood XIII in Illinois in a few years!

3 Likes

I roadtripped down from Maine to see them! We had the best luck at French Creek State Park- We left on Monday and they were still singing and flying and laying eggs. They are definitely dying off, but I think you should be able to see some if you go soon.

2 Likes

As of yesterday they were out in Princeton, NJ (at the Battlefield State Park). Many ovipositing and quite a few dead, but still plenty singing and flying around. I don’t know much about them but I know their fun is ending soon, so I’d go ASAP.

3 Likes

Two weekends ago hopewell big woods snd French creek state park in berks county had abundant amazing cicada activity, we camped in the multi group area and hiked several trails they were all around. Good luck and enjoy!

1 Like

They are all over Bucks County and around Princeton NJ. iNat has a good map but just drive around W. Jersey and SE PA and listen for them

1 Like

Thanks everyone! We’re going to try Princeton, NJ, leaving this Tuesday.

2 Likes

Start preparing for 2024! With a few hours of travel you can see all 7 species of Magicicada. In the Chicago area Brood XIII is emerging (contains septendecim, septendecula, and cassinii) and in the southeastern US Brood XIX is emerging (contains neotredecim, tredecim, tredecula, and tredecassinii).

5 Likes

I had great success observing the cicadas along the Delaware River near Bulls Island Recreation Area, north of Stockton, NJ. They were in full swing yesterday (Friday 6/18) There is a pedestrian bridge across the Delaware at Bulls Island, it’s a gorgeous and scenic area and really cool to observe the different Brood X species along both the NJ and PA sides of the river. Enjoy!

1 Like

I just got back from a trip to central Ohio and they were still going strong there this past weekend, although the locals told me they weren’t as active as they were a couple of days ago so they are probably past peak. All the ones I took a closer look at seemed to be Magicicada cassinii.

Good luck with your second trip! I had the same situation–I drove from upstate New York all the way to Baltimore in late May to see them. I was so desperate not to miss them that I overshot and went too soon. There were plenty of cicadas, but even though they were starting to sing, the chorus was paltry compared to the deafening sound I’ve heard reports of in weeks since. I still had a fantastic time though!

Sadly I haven’t had the chance for another roadtrip in the past few weeks, but I will be planning ahead for the next few years. If all else fails, they’ll be in the Hudson Valley in 2030!

3 Likes

I will certainly put that on my radar, thank you!

Stinks, don’t it? We did the same expecting the zoo we all work at would be crazy in June, but they ended up barely giving us any hours (thanks, COVID), so we totally could’ve gone later. >:E

Still fun though–I’m glad your trip, too, had its enjoyments!

ALSO, the Princeton trip was a great success! Thanks everyone for your advice. Going to update the first post with some pics if I can.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.