Book Recommendations

Might have to get that book!

I just got that book from the library, and I’m loving it! Thank you very much for the recommendation!

1 Like

I found another one, which I am currently reading from my library.

Seaweed Chronicles by Susan Hand Shetterly. Mostly set along the Gulf of Maine, it examines the intersection of ecology, economy, and policy, in terms of seaweeds.

2 Likes

Dance of the Dung Beetles by Marcus Byrne and Helen Lunn; Wits University Press, 2019, Johannesburg, South Africa.

1 Like

I very recommended - Consilience. The Unity of Knowledge; is a 1998 book by the noblist-biologist E. O. Wilson, in which the author discusses methods that have been used to unite the sciences. Wilson uses the term consilience to describe the synthesis of knowledge from different specialized fields.

3 Likes

I’ve just seen an advert for the long awaited British craneflies by Alan Stubbs.
https://www.pemberleybooks.com/product/british-craneflies/19606/

Anyone who has used his books on hoverflies and soldierflies will know what a high standard to expect.

I can thoroughly recommend Invasive Aliens by Dan Eastwood (2019), a fascinating account of the fauna & flora which have ended up in Britain since prehistoric times (with a few surprises!) INVASIVE ALIENS - DAN EATHERLEY - Consultant and Writer

1 Like

If you read “A Short History of Nearly Everything”, be sure to find the reference books the author used. I can recommend this one. I am sure a lot of people will recognize the author.

"The Eternal Frontier: An Ecological History of North America and Its Peoples "
by Tim Flannery

Flannery also wrote the more recent book: “Europe: A Natural History”. It is very good, too.

Bill Bryson also used John McPhee’s geology books. I read a few of them, too.

Please, please, please read Bringing Nature Home by Douglas W. Tallamy if you haven’t already (he has several others, including Nature’s Best Hope, and a newer one about Oaks that I haven’t read yet, but I believe that’s the first one).

6 Likes

High Jungles & Low by Archie Carr

Something for bryologists:

Michael Lüth: Mosses of Europe - A Photographic Flora; set of 3 volumes, 1360 p., ISBN 978-3-00-062952-5

1 Like

Found another good one.
A World on the Wing: The Global Odyssey of Migratory Birds, by Scott Wiedensaul. It captures how truly epic bird migrations are.

3 Likes

The Monkey’s Voyage: How Improbable Journeys Shaped the History of Life. 2014. By Alan de Queiroz

1 Like

Hi there! Haven’t been here in a good bit, but I’m back for a bit anyways. I’m looking for some good suggestions on nature related books, or just books in general, I really do prefer fiction. I am having trouble finding good books as a teenager/young adult, as most now are inappropriate, it’s quite sad. I’m a really fast reader so I finished my tiny local library a few years ago. I figure y’all probably have some really good suggestions. TIA :black_heart:ally

2 Likes

Just a note that I moved your post to this existing topic.

2 Likes

Less nature, more livestock, but as a teenager I read and enjoyed James Herriot’s series about his time as a rural vet in Britain. The first one I read and I think chronologically, too, was All Creatures Great and Small.

5 Likes

Mind you, these books were already classics when I was a teenager more than 20 years ago, so I’m sure there are newer titles, but some books with nature-related topics that I enjoyed were:

Watership Down / Richard Adams (I can’t recommend this enough. Realistic depictions of rabbit life mixed with anthropomorphic elements and a compelling, moving story that reflects on the political tragedies of the 20th century)

My Side of the Mountain / Jean Craighead George (also other living in the wilderness-type books by this author, and by e.g. Elizabeth George Speare, Scott O’Dell, possibly Gary Paulsen)

Little Grey Men / ‘BB’ (D. J. Watkins-Pitchford)

Call of the Wild / Jack London (this is a bit brutal in places, if that’s a concern for you)

I would also second the recommendation for James Herriot’s books.

7 Likes

“Where the Crawdads Sing” by Delia Owens.

1 Like

If you are a birder, then you should try the Steve Burrows Birder Murder Mysteries. You can read them out of sequence. I read “A Cast of Falcons” first because it was in a library booksale cheap. Then, I got “A Siege of Bitterns” on eBay. I intend to get the rest of them one by one eventually.

I find that, being a birder myself, I really enjoy that the main character is an experienced birder and that the plot involves birding/birds.

2 Likes

I’m not sure what you mean by inappropriate but I’m guessing you mean ‘adult’. So with that in mind, I second spiphany’s recommendation of “My Side of the Mountain”. I would also recommend any of Gerald Durrel’s books. They aren’t fiction but they do read like an adventure novel. He wrote about everything from his life as a kid interested in nature to his time as a zoo keeper and conservationist.

2 Likes