Butterflies Versus Caterpillars in a project

Hello,
I have a created a project with Include Taxa as "Butterflies Superfamily Papilionoidea). See this link.
We are currently having a discussion if (a) caterpillars WOULD show up in this project or not automatically and (b) if they SHOULD show up or not? After all, a caterpillar is just part of the life cycle of the butterfly. This is true for the chrysalis but probably not many observations because of the difficulty of identification.
Thoughts, feedback, suggestions greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

2 Likes

Unless you have any filters for annotations, then for sure all life stages will show up and there’re thousands of those for butterflies (both cats and chrysalises) and many that are RG, but it depends on what your participants will observe and how well.

5 Likes

Thanks marina,
I added a caterpillar observation and it did NOT show up in the project?

1 Like

I don’t see it when I choose dates that were active for that project? https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?d1=2022-01-02&d2=2022-05-27&place_id=any&user_id=deedesie&verifiable=any

I deleted it. let me add it back in…it was a test so i took a screen shot from a website, but tagged a location and date to it manually. one sec.

oh - it showed up now in my project…!! all good. thanks. it did not show up earlier.

1 Like

When you test things like that, remember to wait a little while before checking. After making changes, it takes some minutes for them to filter through or be reindexed and show up in the appropriate places (projects, search results, etc).

3 Likes

Depends on the project definitions. If you only want adult observations, make it clear. Otherwise all the life stages are fair game.

When you define a taxon that observations must fall into, it will group observations based on their taxon. Papilionoidea may be the “butterflies”, but the larval stage of a butterfly is absolutely still within that taxon, and so will be included.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.