Can the parent ID actually be used?

I drafted a feature request on this but haven’t had it posted because I wanted to check if this was actually possible.

I want to be able to use the taxon ID to set the parent of a taxon like the Curator Guide suggests is possible (see screenshot below), but I can’t figure out how to actually do it, and everything I’ve tried (which seems like it should work) has not worked.

“just paste in the ID” is the text I am referring to, but paste it where? and then what? The Guide does not elaborate. If we can figure this out I will change this paragraph to be more accurate.

It works exactly as described for me, I do it regularly for creating infrageneric taxonomy.
E.g. recently we created complexes/species groups for Phidippus, so I replaced the taxon ID of the genus with the taxon ID of the respective complex, then press my Enter key and it saves.

5 Likes

If you want to test it on something less impactful, there are always a few dandelion species with 0 observations that can be moved into their sections…

1 Like

Just tested it on our staging server and it works when editing a taxon. Also works when creating a new taxon and committing a taxon swap.

When editing a taxon, you have to make sure you remove the text from the “Parent name” box. You might have to enter the Parent ID again.

1 Like

Thank you! So clear the Parent name box, put the ID in the ID box, and then press enter? That saves the changes right away, right?

1 Like

Just tested what I suggested, and it works! @tiwane I didn’t actually have to remove the text from the Parent name box, it worked anyway. Should it not work?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.