Please fill out the following sections to the best of your ability, it will help us investigate bugs if we have this information at the outset. Screenshots are especially helpful, so please provide those if you can.
Browser, if a website issue (Chrome) :
URLs (aka web addresses) of any relevant observations or pages: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/130903543
Screenshots of what you are seeing (instructions for taking a screenshot on computers and mobile devices: https://www.take-a-screenshot.org/): This is what I see in edit mode.
Description of problem (please provide a set of steps we can use to replicate the issue, and make as many as you need.): I added the fields in the screenshot, but now cannot delete them nor change the values. I’ve tried regular and batch editing and there is no obvious option to delete them and when I change values and save, the values don’t “stick” and so revert back to pre-editing.
Step 1: Add these custom fields to an observation and save.
Step 2: Try to edit to change values and/or delete fields and save.
Step 3: Check to see if the values reverted and/or fields are still there.
when i look at the observation i see a note that says “Observer only allows site curators to add observation fields”:
so since you’re not a curator, i wonder if that setting applies even to you? you could try toggling that setting off temporarily to see if that helps you to modify the fields in this case. if that does turn out to be the issue, it’s probably something that should be fixed so that observers can always modify their own observations, even if they are not curators.
Thank you @pisum, as I would never have thought of that, but changing it did not work to give me a way to delete/remove the fields. I did find out that if I change the values within any of the dropdown values to a true null, which I’d included to prevent default values, none of the dropdown values save, and if a plain text field with no dropdowns is changed to blank, it reverts to the pre-edit value. Putting [null] in them instead maked them work. Holy bugginess!
instead of trying to edit the observation fields from the edit page of the observation, try editing the fields directly on the observation page itself:
I did not know that was possible from there; I thought those were static. Thanks!