Canoeing or kayaking to observe nature

I’m a kayaker but got into setting up a blog site for a Master Naturalist project (3 kayakers) because got tired of fellow paddlers talking about flowers by color rather than by name. What we learned from the 3 modules (Florida) led us continue with the blog to monitor that site throughout the year. Inaturalist.org offers a much better platform for phenological information, so this has become my primary posting now.

I started out with a waterproof Panasonic Lumix which can also take underwater photos. There are other waterproof cameras in that range which I understand is as good. For the price the Panasonic takes good shots and is reliable (and I got a replacement within the warranty period when my second Panasonic messed up), but I could never get good close-ups. I now have an Olympic waterproof camera which takes good close-ups, but is not as good as the Panasonic on zoom shots. Neither is good on flying insects. The zoom button on the Olympic is so close to the photo button that it often zooms when setting up a shot which creates blurry images when using the close-up choice. Both are palm sized and light. Both are designed for active outdoor use and mine have probably taken more neglect and hard knocks than most. Recommend you also attach a camera float: you will drop your camera in the water if you photograph a lot. Additionally, I have a very compact camera case which has room for spare batteries, which I recommend you carry and an extra photo card. I hang that case from my forward bungee chords to dangle in the cockpit. I don’t recommend hanging the camera around your neck. In my earlier kayaks I had room between my legs, but my kayaks now fit close with hardly any spare room so I place the camera on my thigh when not using. Hanging it around my neck intefered with my paddling and I have my dark glasses straps hanging too as well as hat tie. Too many ties around your neck would complicate your ability to get back into the kayak if you capsize.

When paddling a river with current, it’s best to pay attention to the current and overhanging branches – a capsize is almost guaranteed if you don’t. If you have fast water, forget the photographing, just enjoy the paddle. In any case, if you’re going to be photographing wear your PFD properly – the chances are good until you learn to quickly recover that you may in the beginning capsize (sit-in-side kayaks) when you’re focused only on getting that shot.

Regarding the paddles themselves: if you wish to get closeup of a animate creature, you will find to stroke with the least amount of attention depending on animal. Going with the current toward the subject would minimize having to paddle and you can get pretty close to the subject without being noticed or alarming the subject. You use your paddle as a rudder to get to in the right direction. Learn to hold on to your paddle if you capsize – paddling straps are more a bother than training yourself to hold on to your paddles.

Heed the behaviour of certain animals in water as on land: female alligators are territorial and do not appreciate your getting too close to her nest. When going round floating islands (on which alligators love to bask), forewarning them like you forewarn bears when on land, is advisable – slightly tap on your kayak with your paddle to give it time to get away. If you surprise an alligator, its natural instinct is to get into water as fast as it can resulting in a wave of water which may disbalance you. Alligators can get habituated just as bears can, when fishermen throw their live bait or unwanted catches into the water. Almost all will react to avoid you, but respect their space. My husband got charged in water by a moose – he was not prepared for that and managed not to capsize in his quick getaway. Bears can swim. And, as on land, respect animals by foregoing the photographing if it’s clear that you are causing a mother with a new flock of young unnecessary consternation.

When you get out of the water, whether that state or province has rules, sponge your boat. You do not want to carry any invasives into another waterway.

Someone suggested learning to use your craft before you start taking photographs, you’ll not miss as many good shots this way because you’ll know how to control your boat. If you want to be paddling for the rest of your life, take a course from an ACA (American Canoe Association) certified instructor. Many paddlers do not know to use their torso and put unnecessary strain on their shoulders. You push, not pull your paddle. Don’t buy a kayak without trying out several – a good fit means you can control your kayak with your legs and thighs as well as your upper torso, but the kayak has to fit to do that. ACA certified instructors will teach you to deal with unexpected situations and emphasize safety.

The possibilities are endless – paddlers can get into areas where hikers don’t go. It’s great for one’s mind, one’s body and you get to post new observations!

If you have hatches you can do multi-day paddling (use backpacking tents, REI’s half dome is very compact) which gives you both terrestrial wilderness and watery wilderness to photograph. Many states and provinces have trail guides on their web sites. So do the national parks, forests, corps of engineers and land management areas (highly recommend upper Missouri Breaks from Fort Benton to Judith Landing or Coal Banks to Judith Landing in MT for beginning paddlers, the BLM (Bureau of Land Management) trail guide is excellent.)

One of the most memorable paddling experience was in Bonne Bay in Newfoundland – no other craft was in that bay and the bay was full of huge Moon jelly and Lion’s mane jellyfish, undulating in the water. We stopped paddling and just floated in sync with those jellyfish.

These memorable experiences can be yours, too.

9 Likes

With so few posts of a stellar photographic nature, and ID being the key-- your phone should do just fine. Place in ziplock bag, and be sure to take the right images (for plants, leaf, flower, stem, habitat). Many of my posts are cellphone, it’s handy, not an attention diva, keeps GPS coordinates, and the important facets of the species can be collected quickly in triplicate (for later editing).
Though I did drop one cellphone into Rio San Luis in Costa Rica-- it was simply a rough day!

5 Likes

Welcome dougpaul! Thanks for the anchor idea…have kayaked for years but never had one!

I have a waterproof stuffsack for my camera and binoculars…they are readily available. Also picked up a small waterproof pouch at Canadian Tire for my iPhone which can hang around your neck but I usually leave it on the bottom of kayak…I am mostly paddling on my small lake and river with no strong current. I love kayaking as it’s quiet and you can get closer to wildlife and aquatic plants! Have fun and good luck! Definitely recommend paddling instruction. Years ago I attended a Women’s Canoeing Weekend where we learned all the basic strokes as well as how to rescue ourselves and others and had a great time camping with other like minded women!

4 Likes

One other equipment tip. Specialized canoe/kayak bilge pumps can be expensive and slow to operate. I picked up a kids water cannon toy (here’s an example at amazon) and they are cheap, effective, and fun when you’re not bailing a boat.

4 Likes

Good point about pumps.

When paddling, check safety requirements of state or country. In Canada bilge pumps or bags are required (& throw line, PFD’s & sounding device -check Canada Transport for rules). At Mountain Equipment Coop and most outfitters one can buy a towline and bag which is crushable and easily stashed in your cockpit or tied down under bungee chords on top shell. We don’t recall ever being required to have a towline in the USA, but we always carry one per kayak. If you have to get out on land where there is moving water, you may want to tether your boat, or if you need to be towed or have to tow another paddler (whoever is being towed should continue paddling if possible – dead weight is really exhausting to pull.)

Florida Fish and Wildlife will check on whether you have a PFD (you don’t have to wear it, just have them on board) and whistle. The officers are generally friendly, but one officer with three new recruits on board was particularly officious when he stopped the 3 of us paddling a large river. We were all wearing our PFD’s, but he barked out “Do you have your PDF”! We were too shocked to have been stopped so abruptly to have the presence of mind to quip back. But we exchanged possible responses we could have given if we had been more mentally agile, as we paddled away, laughing (out of ear-shot). “I left mine in my desktop [computer]” was the best I could think up.

In some states one needs a boat stamp, even if passing through but maybe paddling one venue in that state.

In SK we had to get a boat check at the entry point near Estevan, but the person who could do the inspection was not there. Instead, a plastic tie was attached to each kayak which could only be removed by an inspection officer before we launched in any SK waters. We were headed to Prince Albert Park and was sent to an inspection station which was not opened and finally we stopped at a travel SK office and asked for help. They gave us a phone number to the supervising inspector and she cleared us after getting negatives to her questions. She apologized. This was early Sunday morning. It would have been nice if the entry person had given us that number, it would have saved us going out of our way to find that the inspection station was closed.

If you’re on a tight schedule in Canada during the summer day light hours allow for inspection at truck inspection stations at border points. Includes kayaks, canoes, SUP’s, etc., not just motorized boats (rain or shine – we had to get out in rain once to open up our hatches – AB-SK border in Alberta.)

More information than someone who wants to just get on a local lake, river, creek wants or needs, but you may really turn out liking to paddle and want to explore other venues.

4 Likes

Back from picking it up at the inlaws (my checkered whiptail observation from this weekend–that lizard fell out of the canoe when we went to put it on the car).

From what I can tell I have to have PDF’s on everybody, and a light if I’m out at night but I don’t need a license or inspection in Texas.

I’m in the Dallas area, and there’s a few lakes around here I can get to fairly easily. I don’t know if LELLA’s paddling trail is open right now. I know White Rock Lake allows canoes/kayaks and I think Oak Point Nature area allow it.

What I’m really hoping is to get 3-4 trips in, then try Caddo Lake in the fall then again in the spring

4 Likes

Good point about the throw line.

Yes we are required to have a buoyant heaving line 15 m (50’). I have always carried it with me in the canoe in a large dry bag and also have a pulley with it. The pulley helps when treeing your food over night but it can also be used to help lever. I have twice pulled a canoe out from a sweeper - I was the crew in one of them :shushing_face: Having a long line can come in handy for pulling out stuck canoes from the other side of the river - a canoe full of moving water can weigh a ton. I also have two ~ 5 m (16.5’) painters I attach to the bow and stern via carabiners - carabiners can also be used in combination with the pulley. The painters, bailers (plastic milk cartons with the bottoms cut off and lid on), and sponges go in the large dry bag when we are in the car. The canoe is tied to the car with tie down ratchet straps. The painters come in very handy when lining a canoe up a creek (video).

2 Likes

We frequently paddle our kayaks in Texas State Parks. So peaceful! The more you paddle, the stealthier you will become. :canoe:

As others have mentioned dry bags and cases, I won’t here.

:star: :star: On your phone’s map or another app, be sure to set a waypoint for the launch site so you can get back. We were paddling one of the bays in Galveston, exploring birds and little clam shell islands. We went out much farther than we thought. Going back, we struggled to find where we had launched so we could get out. That was scary! Everything looks the same when the sun is setting and fatigue has set in. :100: :star: :star:

Remember, Texas law requires a Personal Flotation Device (PFD) for each person on the boat (e.g., kayaks and canoes). Anyone under the age of 13 must wear a PFD on any boat. Also, carry a whistle on the boat with you in case you need help.

Happy trails!

5 Likes

Welcome to the forum!

1 Like

Wow, real enthusiasts!
I rented an impossible-to-overturn kayak at a state park in Tennessee, took my waterproof pocket-sized camera and was glad to be able to zoom, and had a ball. My suggestion is sunscreen. :-)

3 Likes

Yes, a Baz Luhrmann moment. Shades too with UV protection, and a hat. One can get pretty fried with the reflection on the water.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.