Can't add new spider species

Is only certain curators allowed to add new spider species?
I’ve tried to add a recently described species (i.e. Olios nentwigi) through the “Create a New Taxon” page and it returns me this:

Is it a bug of some sort or is it working as intended?

It’s the wrong page being displayed (it is supposed to show a more graceful error message indicating this), but yes many taxa groups including mammals, reptiles, birds, odonata, spiders and others are locked to taxonomy changes other than by designated curators.

Add a flag on the appropriate genus or closest match requesting the addition.

Thank you for the response.
So it is indeed how i initially thought it to be. I have already put flag on some species for a while (Indopadilla vimedaba, Olios nentwigi) and was wondering why it still has not been resolved (i actually tagged you in a comment too).

Unfortunately taxon curators are not notified when flags are placed on the taxa they administer. So unfortunately they can get overlooked unless they review every single flag entered.

I will try and find these.

1 Like

No need to review every flag, you can bookmark a link for just flags on spiders. I have some similar links bookmarked that I check regularly.

https://www.inaturalist.org/flags?utf8=✓&flagger_type=any&flagger_name=&flagger_user_id=&user_name=&user_id=&flaggable_type=Taxon&taxon_name=Araneae&taxon_id=47118&deleted=any&flags[]=inappropriate&flags[]=other&reason_query=&resolved=no&resolver_name=&resolver_user_id=&commit=Filter&utf8=✓&flagger_user_id=&commit=Filter

1 Like

Please note that if you are a curator you can create new taxa in locked groups, however, you must create them as Inactive, not active, and then you can direct a message to the relevant curator to activate them.

Do you still get the same error if you try creating it but leave it inactive ?

1 Like

Creating an inactive taxa is doable

1 Like

I didn’t know about being able to create inactive taxa - handy.

But a related issue I have with these locked branches is you get an error message saying to contact the specific taxa curators but its f’n hard to actually find who they are. You have to do (google) searches and maybe get lucky. Perhaps I should put in a feature request to display those curators.

Listed on the curator guide on the help page.

I believe without looking it is also listed on any taxonomy framework document within the group. It certainly is listed on the parent item for the group.

The error message if you try to commit a taxon change in a locked group also indicates who they are.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.