Casual status incorrect

Please fill out the following sections to the best of your ability, it will help us investigate bugs if we have this information at the outset. Screenshots are especially helpful, so please provide those if you can.

Platform (Android, iOS, Website): Website via iPad

App version number, if a mobile app issue (shown under Settings or About):

Browser, if a website issue (Firefox, Chrome, etc) : Chrome

URLs (aka web addresses) of any relevant observations or pages: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/2836010

Screenshots of what you are seeing (instructions for taking a screenshot on computers and mobile devices: https://www.take-a-screenshot.org/):

Description of problem (please provide a set of steps we can use to replicate the issue, and make as many as you need.): I have been looking through “Casual” observations for observations that are here by mistake. I have found 2 examples of observations with a “Casual” status with no apparent reason. When I added an ID to these, the status was updated to “Needs ID” or “Research Grade” as appropriate.

Step 1: Find casual observation that meets all requirements of verifiable.

Step 2: Add any ID (ideally not disrupting progress of community ID).

Step 3: Observe status change to “Research Grade” or “Needs ID”

I was unable to locate a post about this in the forum. Feel free to move or remove this post if the thread already exists. I also found an example yesterday, but did not get appropriate screenshots to document the issue.

Edit: reordered screenshots

That means they needed reindexing and you did that.

3 Likes

Thanks!
Will this happen automatically in time if the observation is left alone? Or does this need to occur through manual interaction with the observation.

1 Like

it seems like you generally need to interact with the observation to trigger the change. if you search the forum for “reindex” you’ll find other cases where some information in the observation is not reflected correctly.

usually these cases are relatively few and have unknown sources. so doing what you did to force the reindex is probably the best and only resolution in these cases.

3 Likes

This will happen automatically if the taxon change just happened. Sometimes a few slip through the cracks and need to be manually pushed through though.

3 Likes

That is interesting to know, as I have noticed the same thing happen on some quite old “unknowns”. I couldn’t see why they were casual, but as soon as I added an ID they changed to “needs ID”. Now I know, so thank you!

Yes, this is a known glitch with taxon swaps. I’m not sure why it happens but it seems like something that would be easy to prevent, it just hasn’t been done yet.

2 Likes