Check Lists with Percentages of species found

Let me start by saying that I’ll donate money every month if this feature is added:

I want to have check list albums that displays the species you have found and blank spaces for the species you have yet to find. I’m sharing a file that I’ve constructed to give a rough example of what I’m trying to describe.

There should be a way to see the percentage of species found compared to the total.

I want this feature to be capable of being exported.

Just need to say that the decision to implement a feature is not affected by whether or not the requester is or promises to be a donor.

I don’t see a file with your request, perhaps you can link to it somewhere?

8 Likes

A pity that it does not work…

3 Likes

For some reason I can’t upload the file I wanted to share so I’ll try and describe it the best I can.

It would simply be a grid system with each cell representing a species or subspecies. The species/subspecies that haven’t been found yet would be either blank (The species/subspecies name) or have a stock image. Once you find that species/subspecies Your image replaces the blank space. At the top of the page you will have a percentage found compared to Order/Family/Genus/Subgenus.

Each person could customize their album list based on that persons aspirations. They could have a massive checklist of all of Life’s species or just a select subgenus that they are interested in.

This would allow people to keep track of what species they have found and what can still be found in their location or the Earth as a whole.

2 Likes

I would love this feature! I was kind of hoping the “life list” would fill that need, but it’s so buggy as to be completely unusable for me.

4 Likes

Yeah I think the inability to make cool lists and generate graphs and the like from your own data is one of iNaturalist’s biggest weaknesses.

For what it’s worth, the “Missions” feature in Android sort of does this, but not particularly well.

2 Likes

In case you missed it, the new Life List feature allows you to display species you haven’t yet observed, but have been observed by others, worldwide or in a certain place. For example, the beetles other people have seen in Maryland, but that you haven’t observed yet (anywhere): https://www.inaturalist.org/lifelists/lifers?view=tree&details_view=unobservedSpecies&tree_mode=full_taxonomy&taxon_id=47208&place_id=39

2 Likes

I’m going to close this feature request because as @bouteloua said above the new Life List allows you to pretty much do this.