Chile - iNaturalist World Tour

We’re featuring on Chile on the World Tour today.

Here’s the GADM Level 1 and Level 2 places we’re using. Thoughts on these places?

What can we do to make iNaturalist better in Chile?

i’m not a Chile expert, but here are some things that look funny to me:

1. in the Tarapacá Region (Level 1), it looks like there should be 2 provinces at Level 2 (instead of just 1): Iquique in the SW and Tamarugal as the remainder
  2. at Level 2, Marga Marga Province may be missing and may need to be carved out of Valparaíso Province (or something like that)
  3. in the links provided above, the islands (ex. Easter Island) furthest west may be cut off in Valparaíso Region (Level 1) / Isla de Pascua Province (Level 2), though it doesn’t appear to be cut off in iNaturalist.
  4. “ísla de Pascua” (Level 2) seems like it should be capitalized as “Isla de Pascua”
  5. is “Aisén del General Carlos Ibáñez del Campo” (Level 1) spelled correctly? it looks like the official name is “Región de Aysén del General Carlos Ibáñez del Campo”, and i see that “Región de Aysén” is sometimes spelled “Región de Aisén” or just “Aisén”, but if you’re going to go with the long official name, maybe you should go with “Aysén del…”? (not sure if it matters or not)

Thanks for this analysis pisum. Great to note those Level 1 and Level 2 issues. Re: the cutoff islands here’s an alt figure that does include Easter Island, San Felix Island, San Ambrosio Island, Alejandro Selkirk Island, Robinson Crusoe Island. They too small to show up with the current styling, but hover over Valparaíso and they become visible. It does look like the current version of GADM is missing Salas y Gomez Island, though.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.